Diy Small Scale 'Reggae Inspired' Pa System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right then,

I am Planning to build a PA system from scratch. Not a touring system with tens of thousand of watts etc (much as i want to) but something for me alone to listen to my music how i want. something small but with the potential to grow and be used for small events etc.

my plans so far are im going to build some scoop bass bins, (not up for debate mainly because i love the way they look and rumble) I made a rough one a couple of years ago to test the sound of a 12 inch scoop bass bin and it rattled the building and made your ears hurt even running through a small guitar amp so im set on a few of those.

My main concern is the mid and above sounds. want some simple 2 way cabs with either 8 or 10 inch drivers and tweeters. would prefer ported designs with an old school kinda look to them similar to these......

15-bass-with-treble.gif

PA Systems, sound systems, speaker boxes, live Sound - Dancetech

simple but what i want, the scoops i'm building come from the same site and i want them to match.

all the measurements i can find are for big drivers or the plans aren't detailed enough or don't make sense so im a bit stuck.

how can i calculate the sizes i would need for cabs with the driver size i want or is it as simple as scaling these down so they are for different sized drivers?

i also may need bit of help with crossovers etc but i know that depends on drivers. (my other threads are on similar lines)

Thanks Hugh

i did look at them yeah, they do look good but a very complicated build and me thinks the plans are very specific to the drivers. if they are a generic design i would be very interested myself.

but due to this being my first serious build i was going to stick to simple plans for now to make sure i get everything right, like crossovers etc.

Speakerplans.com

this is the kind of thing im thinking first but with only one driver, but when i have decided on drivers going to use will use a calculator to sort enclosure volume and design it around that. but as i stated before i am a sucker for big old cabs that double as tables!

If you are not hell bent on building your own I suggest s/h Tannoy DualConcentrics.
Tannoy and Reggae are a marriage made in heaven and there are currently two suitable options on ebay for £300 and £350, a pair of i12s and a pair of System 12s respectively.

I doubt one could build better for less.

yeah, i do want to eventually build system with active crossover instead of passive ones. can be a bit more imaginative with box designs and placement then!! depending on whether i build speakers or buy amps first will dictate the type of system i build. active crossover would be preferable tbh.
images

This next to the sofa.......mmm nice

In the end if you want a scoop bin cancellation dip the most practical way to get one is by turning a knob on your desk.

Other speaker systems are perhaps not so cool looking in your eyes but are far more practical, if you have ever tried to take a large horn loaded p.a. on the road you will already know this, if you haven't then that treat awaits you.
rcw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.