Upgrading Celestion 100's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I have found the break, just where it might be expected. The Celestion tweeter is one piece in as much as the voicecoil former is formes out of the same aluminium foil as the dome. This has the voicecoil wound around it and presumably epoxied to it, the break is where the voicecoil wire leaves the former. The wire is hair thin and I doubt I could make a solder joint strong enough to withstand the flexure at that point.Now if I had access to a laser welder and had hands like a pixy instead of a coal miner I might have a chance of repairing it. The other side of the voicecoil has some tell tale roughness in the same spot, this looks like it will fail too.

Post some pictures of this speaker because it sounds like you can help other users here. Measure the cabinet driver cutout sizes.

The best affordable metal dome available these days is probably the SEAS 22TAF/G, and it might be a good upgrade.

I get used to wasting my breath here, but I think you'd better listen to the system and do some measuring then. You're not going to buy worn-out old celestion tweeters, are you? Some crossover mods beckon too. :)

Steve I appreciate the advice, the problem is the Celestions have a cast aluminium baffle. It is therefore not so easy to substitute tweeters. Problem number two is that I have ordered new parts, so yes as an interim solution I wouldn't mind an old Celestion tweeter!

I may end up building a new speaker, the one Joachim Gerhard is designing on here may be a good candidate.

My DIY efforts so far have mostly been in electronics, so speakers are a bit of a learning curve.

Regards,

Rob.

Don't worry about the learning curve too much. People here will get you up it. :D

A lot of tweeters (like Morel) can be disassembled and fitted on a different front plate. Often held by 3 or 4 screws on a standard pattern. Photographs and measurements should establish what is doable here.

I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility to fit other tweeters. Sreten is quite knowledgeable about Celestion as are a few others no doubt. But it's up to you.

I honestly think the art has come on since those speakers were built, particularly on tweeters.

Here are a couple of low resolution pictures. I may post some higher resolution ones of the dead tweeter and measure the mounts shortly, when and if the mood takes me.

Attachments

• Celestion dead tweeter.jpg
    Celestion dead tweeter.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Celestions sans faceplates.jpg
    Celestions sans faceplates.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 155
Aw...mood? You're depressed, I can tell. Cheer up chum. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. :D

Lots of possibilities for improvement here. Just it ain't been done yet by any of the pussies on the web. As you doubtless know, I am very enthusiastic about carefully placed panel damping to upgrade speakers. But here's the Morel CAT 298 tweeter details to get you measuring and sorting out these piffling tweeter troubles. See if that'll fit. Crossovers to get it all working well are really kinda easy. We can do this. :cool:

Attachments

• Morel_CAT298.JPG
    Morel_CAT298.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 131
  • Morel_CAT298_Picture.JPG
    Morel_CAT298_Picture.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 125
Steve, thanks for the kind words and the tweeter suggestion.

An update though I got the tweeters successfully repaired thanks to some fine work by a local speaker repair shop-Axent Audio, very cost effective too!

Having completely dismantled the tweeter, I noted Celestion used a circle of felt to damp the chamber behind the tweeter. Just for the sake of experimentation, I substituted a similar volume of angel hair. A bit hit or miss but totally reversible if I don't like it. As it happens it was well worth while. Benefits include a more seamless sound and once again more headroom and low level resolution.

Regards,

Rob.

The parts arrived for the speakers. Crossovers were built temporarily on foam cored cardboard cut to size to fit inside the rear shelf of the Celestions.I will get around one day to fitting them into a box.

I took the opportunity to compare box to box with old crossovers. Tonally pretty much identical as expected but with additional high treble sparkle. They are clearly smoother particularly in the crossover region.

After fitting both crossovers and doing some extensive listening, there is substantially more headroom before the onset of hardness, the presentation is more detailed yet easier on the ear. I am quite pleased but I was hoping for good things after a substantial time and monetary investment.

Attachments

• Celsestion new xover v2.jpg
    Celsestion new xover v2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 132
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pleased to hear your pleased :)

These were great speakers in their day and I have a pair languishing unused at the moment. My 100's replaced a pair of original SL6's although I later moved on to B&W floorstanders.

Nice job and good result :)

Thanks Mooly. You would be surprised I think at what these are now capable of. My speakers languished for years too. I am running them with a small Rega sub which is a rebadged REL.These things now do a passable imitation of a much larger speaker.

Rob.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.