Ultra-wide dispersion drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want a single driver then I think you need one made out of unobtainium =)

A much more simple and tried solution is to just add multiple directional tweeters pointing in separate directions like Stig Carlsson did with his Sonab series. My current speakers for example which are a clone of the pop box use this setup.

My in-progress speaker which is also an omni will use the same setup =)

Last edited:
The desired frequency range is very significant. The crossover is a big contributor to horizontal AND vertical dispersion and shouldn't be discounted.

Any decent four inch midrange driver can have ultra wide dispersion if it's crossed 4th order around 1.8khz or so to a 1" tweeter.

That same four inch driver can have a crappy dispersion crossed 1st order around 4khz to a 1/2" tweeter that has better dispersion above 8khz.

That four inch driver can have really mediocre dispersion at the bottom of its range if it only plays down to 600hz cleanly and you want to have a lot of output or deep extension with a 12" woofer. Or you can trade those things and use a 6" midwoofer or two.

I have to say that I agree with the idea of a crossfired constant directivity speaker for your purposes. On paper that would be less dispersion, but in practice it is a wider sweet spot because the further speaker is producing more output than the closer speaker.

The SEOS waveguides are a good choice, as are DIY Synergy Horns.

I guess if you want really wide, then up-firing cones would do it. It's a concept that's been around for decades.

Have been looking into this. This for mixing so I'm not sure how well that will work out for me. I have a lot of nice speakers already, I just want to build something that will allow me to move left and right in front of the console without losing anything. Just a few feet.

The desired frequency range is very significant. The crossover is a big contributor to horizontal AND vertical dispersion and shouldn't be discounted.

Any decent four inch midrange driver can have ultra wide dispersion if it's crossed 4th order around 1.8khz or so to a 1" tweeter.

That same four inch driver can have a crappy dispersion crossed 1st order around 4khz to a 1/2" tweeter that has better dispersion above 8khz.

That four inch driver can have really mediocre dispersion at the bottom of its range if it only plays down to 600hz cleanly and you want to have a lot of output or deep extension with a 12" woofer. Or you can trade those things and use a 6" midwoofer or two.

I have to say that I agree with the idea of a crossfired constant directivity speaker for your purposes. On paper that would be less dispersion, but in practice it is a wider sweet spot because the further speaker is producing more output than the closer speaker.

Yeah the horns would probably do it. Not a huge fan of the sound tho, but I guess good ones can be had.

Have been looking into this. This for mixing so I'm not sure how well that will work out for me. I have a lot of nice speakers already, I just want to build something that will allow me to move left and right in front of the console without losing anything. Just a few feet.

Omnis do that =)

Omnis sound basically the same everywhere in the room, at most one speaker might be louder than the other.

Problem is though that even a 1 inch tweeter has poor dispersion at 10-15 khz. On top of that is that dispersion is very inconsistent, it is very good below breakup but poor above. A waveguide makes it more consistent but it isn't enough, dispersion is still poor 10-15 khz.

A 1/4 - 1/3 inch tweeter with a waveguide would be interesting though, but I haven't seen one yet =)

Last edited:
This one should be ok.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/full/conus1.html

artikle2.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.