Mounting a Speaker to a baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I prefer using a "flexible adhesive" for drivers up to 6.5". With the baffle facing upwards I place a bead of adhesive around the routed insert, press 4 felt washers into the adhesive to prevent the driver from touching the baffle, and let the weight of the driver hold it in place. Cure for a day before using.

For 8" and upwards I use threaded inserts as long as the baffle is wood or plywood. I do not like them in mdf as they tend to loosen up with time. Mortite is a great gasket material, better I think than the gaskets supplied with many drivers, it also is useful to "deaden" drivers with stamped steel frames.

Thanks for your opinions, hope this info might help first time builders.

Regards,
Pete

I follow the theory of tightly coupling materials of dissimilar mechanical characteristics to maximize the damping effect of each on the other.

To do this, I have found that a thin coating of rubber cement will seal air leaks and prevent high frequency rattles while allowing the metal of the basket and the wood or plastic/composite of the baffle to maximally damp each's natural resonance characteristics.

This approach seems to work well even with stamped steel baskets.

Mark

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002

Attachments

• threaded_insert.gif
    threaded_insert.gif
    3 KB · Views: 431
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.