DIY BOOMBOX - Need Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone! My first post, and here to draw on your knowledge and experience.

I build this boombox for my little sister because she likes to listen to dubstep.
Its made of random old parts laying around the house. I don't even know the power ratings of the speakers or the amp. It surprised me by how GOOD it sounds!

DSC04627.jpg

DSC04628.jpg

DSC04629.jpg

So I here to ask questions and build a better version that really kicks and reproduces sound more accurately!

Can you guys give me some pointers?

What should I be looking at when its comes to car audio components.
Who makes good quality subs, speakers, amps?
How can I get a boombox that represents good lows, mids, and highs?

Hi
My bad ! :eek::spin: I lost my previous message ,
so I skip all the first part about power supply , thin cables and separated chambers for the speakers .
I was writing about the difference between home and car speakers , when I hit
a strange button ......:confused:
So , car speakers are 4Ω impedance : the amplifier is less happy to work on
such load ,as it distorts twice ; but theoretically it should deliver double
power , but it happens only when the output stages are projected and dimensioned for it , as also the power supply .
I suggest to go the classic way , with separated speakers on proper stands ,
a good turntable and ....:p:p:p:p
:)

Hi,

The concept is very good and nice.
Use better amps, better speaker drivers, and better power supply.
The price will rise too. You can use a 2.1 amp with integrated active crossover.
I like a lot Rockford Fosgate, Alpine and Focal in audiomobile.

what is your budget ? the size ?

Last edited:
Thank you!

I have questions about boxing the regular car audio door speakers? ( Not Sub's )

Should I make the door speakers a sealed box, like the sub, or should I leave them open to the air?

Are thier any powerfull 2.1 amps 12volts amps? I keep finding weak stuff on ebay, but cant seem to find any 2.1 that has alot of power...

Last edited:
Hi!

I almost went the same path and had the same question. So fist I built a car amp with car speakers in an old tube radio. Than I decided to make it more audible and portable. So I did some reading and off course I red the Boominator thread. But without speaker software I decided to find a speaker DIY kit so I could read some reviews about the sound and some information about the used amps.

So in the end I build two ct218 speakers (lautsprechershop.de) and combined them with a ta2020 an li-ion battery. (I will place some pictures later) a bluetooth module....put I all in an enclosure and voila. And yes it sounds brilliant but for a party this not (yet) your machine but maybe a point to start from. Why? Not yet for a party? Well the volume is there but I want a bit more bass so I am planning on building the exact same enclosure with a bass unit with its own amp and power supply.

Ha there is some sharp vision around here....the 303 could join but it isn't exactly portable... I don't want to go off topic but for the quad I am building a few nice horns. Speaking off horns etc....there is someone who made a boom box with two small karlsons!

And if portable is not needed I would go for a nice lm3886 with two full range speakers with some help of a tweeter and sub... ( I feel something coming to my mind).

Wow thank you guys!

My target is to get good bass I can feel, and quality sound!
I want to the sub to be around 500 - 750 watts, powered by a mono amp.
And 125 watts for the 3 way speakers powered by a 2 channel amp...

12 So i can take it to camp, and hook it up to a deep cycle battery.

At home I will used a quality 12v PSU with 1000 watts rating...

Wow thank you guys!

My target is to get good bass I can feel, and quality sound!
I want to the sub to be around 500 - 750 watts, powered by a mono amp.
And 125 watts for the 3 way speakers powered by a 2 channel amp...

12 So i can take it to camp, and hook it up to a deep cycle battery.

At home I will used a quality 12v PSU with 1000 watts rating...

I'm sorry but..

Divide all those power ratings by 10.

1000w @12v = just over 83A.
Consider for a moment that speakOn connectors used world-wide in PA systems are rated at 30A per contact - you'd have to run 6 contacts total, and even then, I'd expect the plug to get warm.

That woofer won't stand a proper 500-750w amplifier, and the smaller drivers won't stand 125w. The battery that could sustain up to 1000w for a few hours would be large, and incredibly heavy - not even approaching "portable".
30Kg for a 100Ah 12v SLA. This would run full power for maybe an hour and 10 mins. It also costs >£200. Two or three of those would get an evening of entertainment done, but the amount of weight to carry would be silly.

I honestly hate to take a whizz on your bonfire, but the numbers you've mentioned are bonkers.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.