Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Silver Flute Transducers
Silver Flute Transducers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Silver Flute Transducers

Hello all,

Posting this for your input of knowledge. Originally, I was reading about a DIY event when I saw Fostex Silver flute printed below a picture. I gazed, and wondered, noted the name and carried on. Now, I find myself at solen's website and find a link to "silver flute" transducers. silver I checked the prices assuming of a (Fostex and Silver flute relationship) high price--being high-end of Fostex. Well, I saw, instead, ribbons costing about 50 bucks CANADIAN! and driver cones made of wool costing about 40-90 (don't quote me on this) CANADIAN as well!

What are your thoughts on the drivers? Experiences? Are these what I think they are?
Old 17th October 2003, 01:34 PM   #2
jbateman is offline jbateman  United States
diyAudio Member

The woofers are popular with some over on the Madisound forum. And this guy is apparently trying to start a loudspeaker company using them:
http://www.jupiter-audio.com/pages/europa.html
Old 17th October 2003, 07:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, my friend may be paying me to build a pair of speakers; I'll probably use these...of course I'll post up info,etc.

Also, look at the price of the speakers....AHAHAHHA! 1600bucks! how about NOT! And, I build it DIY-style!
Old 17th October 2003, 07:35 PM   #4
lowHz is offline lowHz  United States
diyAudio Member

I just heard some of these drivers for the first time the other day. They are incredible for the money. I heard the 5 inch version in a 2-way speaker. They had great midrange and bass performance that sounded much better than their price would typically indicate. I will be ordering a small quantity of the 5 inch drivers soon to try out in some TM, MTM, and possibly line array designs. I think that they have raised the bar for inexpensive drivers.
Old 19th October 2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Silver Flute Transducers

Quote:
Originally posted by Bose(o)
Hello all,

Posting this for your input of knowledge. Originally, I was reading about a DIY event when I saw Fostex Silver flute printed below a picture. I gazed, and wondered, noted the name and carried on. Now, I find myself at solen's website and find a link to "silver flute" transducers. silver I checked the prices assuming of a (Fostex and Silver flute relationship) high price--being high-end of Fostex. Well, I saw, instead, ribbons costing about 50 bucks CANADIAN! and driver cones made of wool costing about 40-90 (don't quote me on this) CANADIAN as well!

What are your thoughts on the drivers? Experiences? Are these what I think they are?
I don't think there is any relationship between Fostex and Silver Flute. (web site)

These are quite nice for the money. I built a pair using the Silver Flute W14RC-25-08 and Vifa D27TG15. Very smooth system for under $100 USD per pair.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Silver FluteW14RC-25-08 / Vifa D27TG15 System
Old 20th October 2003, 04:22 AM   #6
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Silver Flute YA-G20

Hi All,

I just got finished building a floor standing MTM using these tweeters. I got mine from Parts Express though. PE sells them as the Dayton PT2 . I am very happy with how these things sound. Very spacious and detailed. Highly recommended for the money. A little while back, PE had a "Deal Of The Day" on these things, and I bought four of them to try out. I'm also putting them in a line source I am working on. I will be using 15 4"Pioneer wide range drivers, and crossing to the tweeters at around 5Kh or so. I'll have to let you all know how it turns out.

I am also interested in checking out Silver Flute's mid-bass drivers. It seems like they have a lot of promise.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 20th October 2003, 07:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My business partner and I are probably building A TL using their 8" supporting two of their W14 drivers, crossed-over to the YAG-20. Will, update as project continues.
Old 25th October 2003, 01:25 AM   #8
purplepeople is offline purplepeople  Canada
diyAudio Member

Any opinions comparing Silver Flute 17cm vs Dayton 6.5" mid-bass drivers?

:)ensen.

Silver Flute TransducersHide this!Advertise here!