Newbie seeking DIY speakers for WE91A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Though not a newbie to electronics or tube circuits, I am a newbie when it comes to building speakers. I'm planning to building a tube amp based on the classic WE91A. Can anyone recommend a set of DIY speakers that would work well with this amp? ie. something that's highly efficient.

Preferably it would be a tried and tested design as this would be my first set of DIY speakers and so I would be learning as I go.

Thanks a lot!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What are your tastes in speakers? You've posted in Multi-Way so I assume you are looking for a 2 or way speaker.

You might check out the "Econowave" project here and on other forums (should be link in a thread here). A 12" woofer and a horn should be a good match for the WE91A. In a normal size room you'll have plenty of headroom.

I might suggest one of the PA driver mid-bass systems for their efficiency. You did not mention your availability to cabinet making tools. Good idea to pick one well tested, measured and commented on to make learning easier. There is a LOT to learn. Tube amps like a fairly easy load to drive. Do a little research on that before selecting. (A pair of 4 Ohm speakers in parallel is not a good idea)

Can't say SuperV looks like a first time project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.