Changing speakers on digital piano

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I need some help with an Acorn DCP-310 digital console piano. I just bought it, and I'm not pleased at all with the sound. It has two woofers mounted on the underside of the cabinet, which are pointed at the floor, and also tweeters on either end of the keyboard. I've attempted to make adjustments to the sound using the controls, but it still sounds muffled and boxed in. I plugged Numark monitors into it using the RCA jacks on the front, and that sounds pretty good. The problem is, the piano circuitry has panning which makes the lower notes louder from the left speaker, and higher notes from the right. When you plug in external speakers, there's no panning. My question is, can I disconnect the built-in speakers, and connect those wires to passive 20 watt external speakers? I took the lid off, and the speakers are connected with 20 AWG wire and quick disconnects. But the way they're wired is not something I'm at all familiar with.

Thanks for your response. I took the lid off again, and I cannot see any markings on the woofers. The specs listed in the manual are no help either. However I looked at the tweeters too, and they are marked 4 ohm 10 watts. This piano is sold with different brand names, and another brand's website says the speakers are 20 watts. Anyway, the woofers are about 4.5" across. Two wires go from the circuit board to the woofers, one white and one blue or brown depending on right or left. The wires are "pigtailed" where the quick disconnects clip onto the speaker and then go on to the tweeters where they clip on there. If I disconnected the wires, can I use more quick disconnects to make them longer? I'm starting to wonder if this is worth it, and I'm thinking about just getting a keyboard amp so that the stereo aspect isn't a consideration.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The keyboard amp is certainly the quick and easy route! You might be happier with it, too.

But you can try connecting to external 8 ohm speakers if you want. Just keep the volume low at first until you're sure it's working. Should not be a problem at all.

Okay, but I'm only familiar with the most basic speaker connections. If I disconnect the wires on each speaker, I'm left with two wires that have quick disconnects on them. Assuming I buy some passive speakers with standard red and black wire connections, how do you connect them to the speaker? And how do you know which wire goes where? I'm kind of worried about cutting the wires, but I guess I could always replace the quick disconnects. Also, the wire they used looks more like electrical wire, which is kind of scary to me!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the built in speakers have just two wires going to each, it's simple. Just connect those same wire to your new speakers. It doesn't matter much which wire goes to which terminal. If there is a color code or stripe on the wires, just connect the same way to your new speakers. If not, well... no worries!

Speaker wire is much like lamp cord. No problem tho, it's low voltage.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm thinking about getting a terminal plate and putting it on the back of the piano to keep the lamp cord inside the cabinet, and make things more user friendly too. I appreciate your help, and maybe someone else will also benefit from the information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.