filterless two-way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, it is possible, but I said in another thread, please, use filters. It not only stops overheating of the moving coil because of loss in the PWM frequencies in the iron parts, they also radiates lots of RF signals and harmonics interfering radio communications. Although I am very far from you, I ask it to you in the name of hams radio. 3.5 and 7 MHz (80 and 40mts band) are currently unusable because of tons of devices generating RF noise.

Thanks.

For pure internet theoretical grand-standing, of course! :D I think I've read a few threads go on about using a woofer and a tweeter wide-open with symbiotic rolling-off characteristics.

You should read more informed threads. 1: you will blow the tweeters, 2: you will drive the woofer into breakup regions. Either way, it will sound horrid. Even PROPERLY designed single driver systems have passive networks.

Not totally filterless, but several companies over the years have sold respected speaker systems with filterless woofers, like EPI and Genesis Physics (click on the "more info" column; includes xover diagrams). These companies had the advantage of designing/building their woofers in-house so their roll-off characteristics could be tailored to a particular system's needs.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Maybe referring to Dynaco also. Tweeter has a cap though.:p

Right. The A25 is one of the more famous ones with a wide-open woofer.

I concede that it may be at least a bit silly to try to run a tweeter full range.

But for those of us who rarely throw more than a solid watt at a speaker, wouldn't it be interesting if two drivers matched really well without the need for other components?

This isn't trolling, it's mental mastication. :rolleyes:

Ah, well. C'est la vie.

What would you (the general DIYAudio populace) do with one or more of these new Eminence woofers?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.