building high pass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I'm almost done building a talkbox for my keyboard rig. The one thing I haven't finished is making a high pass filter for the high frequency driver in the talkbox. First off, if anyone knows whether or not this is a good idea, your comments are welcome.. (aka do commercial talkboxes do this???)

I have found lots of info online how to make high pass filters, so let me cut to the chase - a 2nd order (12db/octave) high pass filter @ 500hz (for an 8ohm driver) is what I want to build. I found VERY different schematics for the "same" circuit, depending on what website I looked at.

Here is the parts express circuit: (I assume I could just use the top half for my driver)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and here is another design for the same thing:
AHLd4dqFjzBBAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Whoa!! Aside from the complexity of figuring out all the values that I would use to make mine cutoff at 500Hz for an 8ohm speaker, does it really need to be as complicated as the second diagram?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ok I'm sorry I've definitely confused everyone with this post. There will be NO horn, NO subwoofer, and NO crossover. It isn't a multi range speaker project. This seemed to be the only place in your forums that filters (or crossovers) were discussed. I really am only looking to make a high pass filter for a single driver.

Just to let you all know what a talkbox is - it just consists of a single mid-high frequency driver that does not connect to any type of horn, instead there is 6 foot long piece of plastic tubing that goes into my mouth so I can "talk", or form the notes I am playing thru my keyboard into more vocalesque sounds.

If I posted in the wrong place my bad I don't know where the best place to talk about high pass filter design (which is like a crossover only simpler, so I thought it would be easy for you guys to point me in the right direction)

So hopefully I cleared this all up. Any help is still appreciated.

Sweet, that info really started to point me in the right direction. Yeah the parts express website recommended a 28uF cap for my driver so I'm glad to know I'm in the right ballpark. And I'll just go with a 1st order (6 dB/octave) filter cause its super simple to build and will let a bit more bass thru anyways. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.