Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

car to home can it or should it be done!
car to home can it or should it be done!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
brianshep is offline brianshep  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default car to home can it or should it be done!

hello everyone i would like some opinions on the pros and cons of building a decent pair of home 3 way speakers using car audio raw drivers and building my own enclosures and crossovers .here in cancun theres lots of quality car stuff but hardly no good home audio drivers . i was wondering basically for the mids and tweeters i can use 12s or 15s which are available here.thanks for the help..
Old 10th April 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Run the winISD simulations, figure out what's going to give a decent bass response in a home - this will be the largest difference between home and car drivers. Car drivers may rely on car cabin gain to extend the LF response. In the home, you get a similar effect, but not as much gain. As a result, a subwoofer that sounds great in a car may sound thin and anaemic in a house.

Chris
Old 10th April 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Run the winISD simulations, figure out what's going to give a decent bass response in a home - this will be the largest difference between home and car drivers. Car drivers may rely on car cabin gain to extend the LF response. In the home, you get a similar effect, but not as much gain. As a result, a subwoofer that sounds great in a car may sound thin and anaemic in a house.

Chris

quite so, while many of the larger subs are engineered to handle stupid amounts of abuse, and could probably handle the power required to EQ for reasonable in-room response - they're not particularly efficient, and could easily gobble up a few hundred watts to achieve reasonable dynamic headroom

As well, the mid-bass drivers tend to be designed for "leaky" enclosures (doors, kick panels, rear decks, etc and might not work as well as you'd hope in small sealed or even conventionally ported boxes
Old 11th April 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the input guys will be conventional professional bass drivers im looking at a brand made and sold here in mexico named KRACK audio. they seem to be very well made and specs read well ! they have various lines, car audio ,professional ,and lots of goodies as well .they have pro grade 12 inch subs for sound reinforcement use.also some nice silk dome mids and tweeters ,the subs and low frequency drivers they have in 8 ohms but the mids and tweeters are 6.5 and 4 ohms respectivelyhas anyone ever used these drivers! once again thanks for the help i think youre right about the car subwoofers ive heard other peoples projects with these and they sound .....well.........off!some muddy and most really boomy. i need tight accurate base and thats what im shooting for!
Old 12th April 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Steve Lowe is offline Steve Lowe
diyAudio Member

Like was mentioned before,car mids are designed for leaky enclosures,like doors.They tend to have a higher Qts than conventional mids.I've been thinking of using some car audio speakers I have laying around for an OB project.

Steve
Old 12th April 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Alvis is offline Alvis
Banned

Yes they (car speakers) can sound decent in open baffle. Fun for an experiment.

Just grab any old car woofer and build a single simple box, it will due until you get some better woofers. It will sound OK if you build it well.

Have fun.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

well i think if the biggest drawback is that car 4ohm mids and highs are designed for leaky enclosures i m sure that falls well within my cabinet making skillset!! just kiddin around!!i would think some experimenting with different porting-venting configurations should yield some good results.if the other aspects of a purpose designed CAR audio driver are similar or equal to its 8ohm brethren please someone fill me in on the reasons why i shouldnt use CAR audio drivers .are they less sonically pure, do they sound ....not as good ...or accurate. why dont people do it more often.....thanks for the insight
Old 12th April 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
NotWisely is offline NotWisely  United States
diyAudio Member

in my sorted past i used a Kicker 12" in my home for some time. i called Kicker and asked for the largest bandpass enclosure they had on file. I ended up with a 130liter cabinet that i stuck in the corner of the room behind a couch.

worked well for parties and angering the neighbors...not so much for bass quality but the quantity was definitely there.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:04 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshep View Post
well i think if the biggest drawback is that car 4ohm mids and highs are designed for leaky enclosures i m sure that falls well within my cabinet making skillset!! just kiddin around!!i would think some experimenting with different porting-venting configurations should yield some good results.if the other aspects of a purpose designed CAR audio driver are similar or equal to its 8ohm brethren please someone fill me in on the reasons why i shouldnt use CAR audio drivers .are they less sonically pure, do they sound ....not as good ...or accurate. why dont people do it more often.....thanks for the insight

car audio drivers vary in quality and design parameters at least as much as those intended for home use, so any generalizations will be just that, but:

- 4ohm (or even less for subs) is often the case for the drivers due to the chicken / egg scenario with power amps designed to deliver higher power into lower impedance loads - by and of itself, that's no metric of their "sonic purity", or lack thereof

- the acoustic and physical environments in which they (car drivers) operate are much more extreme and constrained than most home situations, and much of the engineering of the better quality components is ( not always successfully) intended to enhance their durability, not so much their "finesse" or refinement of low level detail etc - you know, all that tweaky audiophile stuff

They'll certainly "work" well enough, but may start to show some of their deficiencies when not operating in an environment with substantial cabin gain, and just as significant, background noise floor that can easily exceed 70dB SPL at speed.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

nice response chris b .i really appreciate youre insight heres the plan ....i have two altec 1590e amps i will build two custom sub enclosures with jbl or krack 12s one for each amp then build two 3way enclosures housing nice ,quality 8 ohm woofers and utilize car audio mids and tweeters. i will power the main speakers with a kenwood krv8080 reciever. when i get done it will be highly unconventional ,kinda pretty ,and very good sounding! thanks again for youre help!

car to home can it or should it be done!Hide this!Advertise here!