Building C830 Center Channel to match Boston Acoustics T830, T930, T1030

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
History:
I own a T830 pair that I purchased in the mid 90's. I've had them in 4 different homes and at least 6 different rooms. I originally drove them w/ a Yamaha RX-300 receiver, then later w/ an Adcom GFA-535, and now currently w/ an Adcom GFA-2535 as LR of a HT.

I have always loved their reproduction of mid-bass up thru highs, but they lack low extension. I resolved this by adding an M&K MX-200 to the HT a few years ago and crossing them over at 80 Hz. In an effort to build out the HT, I tried a Velodyne CHT Front Row center channel for a while. And although the tweeter was close to the CFT 3, it was not the same. I eventually replaced the Velodyne w/ a CenterSat7 and have been using it for about 3 years.

Current State of my HT:
L/R are Boston T830, Center is Boston CenterSat7, Surrounds are Velodyne CHT Front Row satellites, Subwoofer is M&K MX-200. Receiver is Marantz SR4300 (used as pre/pro, and amp for surrounds). Amplifier is Adcom GFA-2535 in three channel config to drive L/R/C.

Issue:
I’m not happy w/ the CenterSat7 for a few reasons. First and foremost, the mids do not match the mids of the T830. There is no smooth transition across the sound stage. It does not present any portion of midrange (majority of vocal information) as well as the T830. Secondly (and I know that I’m being picky) design philosophies of early Boston products were completely abandoned. The enclosure is constructed of plastic, the grill not acoustically transparent, and it is bass reflex via passive radiator.

Project:
Build a C830 using drivers, cross-over and binding posts from a T830. The new enclosure needs to fit on my TV stand below the TV and not block any IR remote sensors. It will be made of MDF w/ finish to be determined. Original grill will be used, if possible, to cover the woofer. I will attempt to keep the vertical alignment of the drivers. The enclosure will most likely take the shape of a short inverted T with the mid and tweeter mounted to a ‘sail’ sticking up from a woofer cabinet. The woofer cabinet will be taller in front than in the rear to accommodate the 8” woofer, but still fit between the bottom and middle shelves. It will be braced internally in the same manner as the T830.

To date I have acquired a ‘donor’ pair of T830’s, ordered replacement surrounds for the woofers, and reviewed a pencil sketch w/ a carpenter friend who will help w/ the cabinet construction.
Photos, trials and tribulations to follow. I’d love any advice that veteran cabinet builders have to offer, especially when it comes to center channels. Has anyone else cared enough to undertake such a task?

Donor speakers picked up off of Craigslist. The seller delivered w/in 15 min of my house and was as happy to get rid of them as I was to get them.
All drivers, w/ the exception of the woofer needing new surrounds, are perfect. One cabinet has been gutted. Removing the crossover w/o damaging the fiberboard proved extremely difficult.

New surrounds are in the shop. I decided to go w/ the kit from Midwest Speaker Repair that includes shims for the voice coil. This will be my second time re-foaming, but first time cutting off the dust cap and shimming. Midwest Speaker Repair - Refoam Kits

Terminal cup for outboard mounting of the mid and tweet arrived.
Amazon.com: Bi-wire Terminal Cup: Electronics

Enclosure design is complete and in CAD. Should have it cut on the CNC router this week.

Attachments

• 544654_3096243483433_1184462532_32503564_326120527_n.jpg
    544654_3096243483433_1184462532_32503564_326120527_n.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 159
Ran into 'fit' troubles. CNC router was off by 1/32" on all cuts. This made each hole for the drivers and terminal cups 1/16" too small. My carpenter friend is guessing that the CNC bit is either worn, or was just sharpened. Also, the I did not account for the width of the woofer's mounting lip. The woofer's hole needs to move up 1/4" so that the lip does not overhang the bottom of the enclosure.

I can work it out for the terminal cups as they are plastic and have a ramped edges. A rubber mallet pops them in and out. But the drivers will not go in. The plan is to cut off the face of the box w/ a table saw and build a new face.

Pics of components (have not installed new surround or dust cap yet) and the first attempt at the enclosure. Face will be re-cut this week w/ larger holes and 1/4" additional space below the woofer.

Fit in the TV stand is perfect.

Attachments

• DSCN0195.jpg
    DSCN0195.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 154
  • DSCN0196.jpg
    DSCN0196.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0198.jpg
    DSCN0198.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0199.jpg
    DSCN0199.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 66
In place and RX re-calibrated. The Center sees the bridged side of an Adcom GFA-2535.

Adcom GFA-2535

I'm extremely happy w/ the results. It will be very difficult to go back to the the CenterSat7 later in the summer so that I can dismantle the C830 to apply a finish. I'm going to apply a black lacquer that will require multiple coats and may take up to a month to complete.

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 77
One other note: When drilling pilot holes for the tweeter and mid-range mounting screws I applied too much force on the drill. The back of the cabinet has small 'push outs' from the drill bit exiting each screw hole. I need to figure out how to clean this up before putting on a finish.

Donor and patient, front w/ finished woofer (midwest speaker repair kit worked great), rear of unit.

Finish will be applied later in the summer.

V. Nice! Just picked up a pr of T1030 towers on Sat; and followed this thread in researching them. I need to do surrounds, too. Looks like one of the speakers was in a sunnier (hotter) location. Is it widely accepted that surrounds have a shorter life on un-ported enclosures.

Any advice on doing surrounds? I guess there are prob'ly U-tube tutorials for that... Is it very hard (1-5 scale)? My handiness rating: 4+

Love the 1030s; I can see why you wanted a matching center!

P.S. Nice cabinet. I would have kept the 830 drivers in the original front panel and built a rabitted box rearward off of it.

Update:

The cabinet has been painted w/ an oil-based primer and 3 coats of a semi-gloss enamel.

The crossover was replaced w/ a second-gen T830 crossover. I learned, at some point over the past 8 yrs, that there were two versions of the T830. Boston did not market the change like they did w/ the T930 Series II and T1030 (update of the T1000). You can find more info on this topic in The Classic Speaker Pages section for Boston Acoustics.

My C830 now more closely timbre matches the T1030 set. Before the crossover change, it sounded better than the CenterSat7. But now it really closely matches the T1030.

Attachments

• C830angle.jpg
    C830angle.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 52
  • C830topcups.jpg
    C830topcups.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 47
  • C830onshelf.jpg
    C830onshelf.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.