Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

New Build: Paul Carmody's Classix II
New Build: Paul Carmody's Classix II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New Build: Paul Carmody's Classix II

Hey guys!

A few days ago, I've ordered the parts from Meniscus to make a pair of Paul Carmody's Classix II speaker. I haven't started the cabinet yet, but I've completed the crossovers.

My TW+ is marked incorrectly because the polarity is flipped on the tweeter and Meniscus shorted me 2 4 ohm resistors to finish the L-Pad - but other than that, so far so good.

I'll update this in a few days once I get to making sawdust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.JPG (410.3 KB, 1096 views)
Old 1st April 2012, 11:36 PM   #2
MCPete is offline MCPete  United States
diyAudio Member

It definitely looks like you have the choke coils too close together given that they are all oriented in the same way (flat on the board). When they are that close together you're going to get some transformer-like effects.

-Not that I've confirmed cross-coupling by testing, but people like Dickason, Weems and others advise against a layout such as what you are doing.

Dickason recommends at least 3" of separation between coils given that they are a right angles to each other. It looks like your board might be able to accommodate that.

Regards,
Pete
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
oneplustwo is offline oneplustwo  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a good reference.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You might be correct Pete, I'll have to look into that. The crossover is actually laid out exactly as Meniscus says that it should in the kit. They include a sticker that you can place on the crossover board which has the layout printed on it. While I opted not to stick it down, I did place the components as they suggested.

It's possible that the first tweeter coil was intended to be placed on it's edge though, I'll have to check that out and see. I don't think it'd be too hard to pop the alex dap loose and reorient it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Sweet, thanks! I hadn't seen that before, definitely a worthy bookmark.

Last edited by DrDyna; 2nd April 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 03:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

And a test fit.

I have to re-cut this baffle, it appears I fat fingered the woofer cutout by almost 1/4" .

"Dear speaker gods, I promise to have a complete cup of coffee before handling the router in the morning."

Sincerly, me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004 (2).JPG (128.8 KB, 936 views)
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
fastbike1 is offline fastbike1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default For your next time

While you're at it, don't glue your resistors flat to the board. They need some air space for cooling. The Classix are designed to "rock out"; wouldn't be the first time a crossover caught on fire.
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Cambe is offline Cambe
diyAudio Member

@DRDyna,
Please tell how they sound. When,you get them broke in.
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambe View Post
@DRDyna,
Please tell how they sound. When,you get them broke in.
I finished the new baffle for the one I f'd up a little while ago. Going to order some veneer shortly.

I've got them together and I'm playing some fairly quiet tunes through them in the background. So far so good. The mids and upper treble seem to be relaxed just enough to make it very easy to listen to. They definitely will not glare at you.

The bass is a little thin, but I'm sure they'll open up a little during the next couple of weeks of break in. I've got them out on my stands that I normally have my mains on which are used with 4 subs, so they might be pulled out a bit too far from the wall as well, which could contribute a little to the bass thinness.

This little Dayton woofer is surprisingly good for the money though and as a whole it seems to play very nicely. I'm quite happy with them so far, they're a great little speaker.

Gonna go set up a measurement in a little while to get a baseline for measurements after break in.

Edit: I did also re-orient the first tweeter coil following Troel's advice, I just ran out of camera battery for the moment.

Last edited by DrDyna; 2nd April 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
While you're at it, don't glue your resistors flat to the board. They need some air space for cooling. The Classix are designed to "rock out"; wouldn't be the first time a crossover caught on fire.
LOL, the resistors in the tweeter circuit are 10w, something tells me I'd need to drink a whole lot more beer than I normally do to start a fire. I've never had a problem with any resistors being stuck down before.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's how it looks with REW in my room right now.

Bass traps are in my future plans for this media room, yes.

I've managed to place all my subs so that the bass isn't as wonky as this, but it looks like my room - not the speaker or stand - that is at fault for bass thinness here.

Ignoring everything under 150 cycles though, it seems to be doing very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg classixii.jpg (76.1 KB, 889 views)

New Build: Paul Carmody's Classix IIHide this!Advertise here!