What speaker and crossover designing software is good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is good to buy or use? Built some speakers years ago without the aid of software and would like to try using some with. The only book i have is an old one that I have had for years "Hi-fi Loudspeakers & Enclosures" by Abraham B. Cohen that was published in like 1968. What is a good book also?

Thank You

Hi mrappe,

You can never go wrong with the following suggestions, but if you are dedicated in your hobby, be prepared to do a 1500-3000$ investment in software and measurement equipment. :)

Measurement software:

• Clio
  • Arta
  • HolmImpulse (free and very easy to use)
  • Dayton WT3 tester (fast and easy to use for T/S parameters and impedance)

Cross-over simulation software:

• LspCAD (user friendly and easy to use)
  • SoundEasy (not so user friendly, but powerful)

You will also need some good calibrated measurement microphone like:

• Earthworks (very good measurement michrophones)
  • ibf-acoustic EMM-8cal (very good price/performance ratio)

A good low distortion soundcard with ASIO drivers like:

• M-audio Audiophile 24/96 or 24/192
  • M-audio USB Transit (for mobile measurements)

A good michrophone pre-amplifier like:

• Berhinger Xenyx 802
  • ibf-acoustic MP1-r

But before even thinking of investing in a lot of tools and equipment, buy and read some loudspeaker design books like:

• Loudspeaker design cookbook (Vance Dickason)
  • Testing Loudspeakers (Joseph D'Appolito)

Good luck and velcome to the greatest hobby of all! :D

Regards

/Göran

Visaton's BoxSim is a premium freeware choice for CAE/Simulation, when you limit yourself to Visaton drivers (they do have excellent ones in various regards).
Together with HolmImpulse + calibrated Mic you can get excellent results at pretty much lowest possible cost and with quite a good chance of instant success.

Just like to point out the SoundEasy has an extensive measurement suite as well as design software. It's all in one. Jeff B's software is Excel based. Ravid Ralph has developed a version of Jeff's software that is , I believe, .net based and does not require Excel. Of the free measurement software HOLM Impulse is very good but has few options.

I have tried several of the crossover design software (incl. Linearx Leap 5) proposed in this thread. However I still prefer the old Calsod that I now have to run in a dos box under windows 7. With Calsod I have unlimited flexibility in how I want to design and optimize a network, something other packages (especially Leap) don't have. That is to me worth more than an impressive windows based interface.

I have tried several of the crossover design software (incl. Linearx Leap 5) proposed in this thread. However I still prefer the old Calsod that I now have to run in a dos box under windows 7. With Calsod I have unlimited flexibility in how I want to design and optimize a network, something other packages (especially Leap) don't have. That is to me worth more than an impressive windows based interface.

I too still use Calsod along with LAUD and various other software. The ability to let Calsod optimize the crossover and to change what to optimize is great. That 2 volume print out of the manual is a real tree and ink killer though :D

Unibox and Xsim to boxes and crossovers. REW, HOLMImpulse or ARTA for measurement.
Voila, you're ready to make good speakers.

Don't forget a good baffle diffraction simulator! Better to sim twice, cut wood once. :)

I still use Paul V's ancient FRD BDC tool. Comparing free tools, I still trust it's sims the most (based on my own comparisons to anechoic measures). Others are available that are much easier to use though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.