Help required on 2 way book shelf for a total Noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Since i couldn't find any speaker kits in my place and importing drivers form abroad costs a huge sum (transportation + customs duty which some times go more than the cost of Kits ) i am thinking of making a Bookshelf with locally available drivers . i am a total noob to speaker building i hope speaker building Gurus will help me in the process .

these are the two drivers i am offered

Tweeter --- Peerless India T25 AN ( around 18USD)
https://picasaweb.google.com/104600802254026814045/19March2012

Mid/Woofer ---Peerless India M13NH (around 15USD)
Products - PeerlessAudio.com

i used an online calculator and got these values for the box
internal volume : 7.07 lit
Fb 52.67
port lenght 2.24inch
port dia 1 inch

are these ok ?

and what type of a crossover should i go for ?

The peerless M13NH certainly is more suitable in a vented rather than a closed box. That is,

EBP = Fs/ Qes = 45.5 Hz/ 0.41 = 111

An EBP or efficiency bandwidth product close to 100 means more suitable in a vented system.

That said, a vented system is more difficult to make work properly than a closed-box system. This is the case because the Q of the system of woofer in the box is difficult to predict. In the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook it is suggested to make the box 25% larger than what the equations say interior volume should be according to the alignment that you choose. Then you can make the box smaller by filling it to get the correct alignment, if necessary.

If you truly are a beginner, a closed-box system is a lot easier than vented.

For the crossover, I do believe that there is a tutorial available here at DIY-Audio for designing them without making measurements, which I suppose is what you would want.

Regards, Pete

Then you can make the box smaller by filling
it to get the correct alignment, if necessary.

Regards, Pete

Hi,

Unless you've monumentally screwed up reducing box volumes
to hit a "target" is a very bad idea / concept. Simple port retuning
is all that is needed to get the best out of a better bigger box.

The driver will have very restricted bass in a closed box.

rgds, sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 164
I'd go slightly larger, ~ 10L tuned in the high 40s. But this depends on how accurate the given parameters are, ideally you'd break the drivers in for a while in test boxes, then measure the parameters yourself using Arta or some similar software & recalculate.

The tweeter link doesn't work, so can't recommend a xover freq, but looks like the woofer will be good up to ~2-3 Khz, & will need some sort of notch to deal with the peakiness. 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley is probably a good place to start for the xover.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Peerless seem to recommend using this as a midrange, 200 and up, so a sealed box and no bass seem inevitable with only one driver.
Vented box is your only real option as a 3-way is more difficult to get right; especially first time, nice specs for a decent midrange tho

Another noob question what if i go wrong with the calculations and if the volume becomes larger than actually needed hows its going to affect the sound quality ?

There is an excellent loudspeaker system simulation program called WinISD that can be downloaded for free, LinearTeam

Using WinISD, you would be able to see for yourself how a larger volume would affect frequency response and other parameters.

Regards, Pete

Mid/Woofer ---Peerless India M13NH (around 15USD)
Products - PeerlessAudio.com
Old thread,

but those drivers used as midbass in Audes 146 and Audes 156 speakers, retailed at ~1500 and ~2000eur.

In Audes 146/156 it is paired with Seas 27TDFC.
In previos versions 145 and 156 it was paired with Audes own tweeters, which are now discontinued.

Here it is responce(near+far field) in sealed box (Audes 145/146). Do not remember exact volume, but something around 3liters.

Attachments

• M13NH.jpg
    M13NH.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.