How do fuses affect the sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of nice Infinity RS-2001 studio monitors with a much more powerful amplifier. A few months back I accidentally blew my tweeters and had to replace them--fortunately I found a good pair for $40 that are identical.

Now I am thinking about putting a fuse between the speaker and amplifier to limit the input current to protect them.

Would this noticeably affect the sound quality? I rather risk not having a fuse than sacrifice sound quality.

Thanks

A fuse is not a bad idea if your speakers get abuse at parties and such, getting driven into distortion and clipping where everyone is too drunk to notice. The idea is to put them before the tweeter crossover to protect the amp and the tweeter.

The KEF T27 tweeter used a 0.5A slowblow. A modern Time-delay would probably do the same sort of thing. A quickblow would probably pop irritatingly often.

As for the sonic effect, well, you probably would only notice it at high levels where the fuse gets hot. It'll be a sort of slight compression. But frankly, the tweeter voice-coil and crossover components are going to show a similar effect anyway.

I had resurrected this post since I'm intrigued by some audiophiles that they had noticed Sound quality changes on their amps when they change their amps rail fuse and even primary line fuse with regular type fuse with the so called "audiophile fuse" and ceramic type fuses.

Does someone here got the experience or this is just a HYPE? kindly enlightened me.

I had debated this on a group of "Audiophiles" . I had ask them proof of the so called changes but only cp recording and no comparative analysis. I just wonder how it will affect the sound especially when the fuse on the primary line.

Just take it all as a bit of nonsense.
It is generally people who have little knowledge in electrical theory and the practical application of such theory that become soapbox advocates of this or that in the refinement of audio equipment. Always be skeptical about such suggestions particularly without any measured evidence.

C.M

Last edited:
Yes ,that's what I'm telling them, that a fuse is a fuse and not an amplifier or sound enhancer. I don't know how some audiophiles with their Hi-Fi and best audio gear and sound obsession and have enough money to buy, are easily blinded by the costly and pure cosmetics look of a device or whatever.

^Wonderful recources, thanks!

I am new to these tuning chips, but technology comes from F1 world so hightech for sure! The effect must be stronger than a single powerline fuse that is hidden in the amplifier. And just imagine the infinite number of applications - might even enhance coffee quality etc. ?

"The new Holographic chips from Albat are based on their Wizard coating technology developed for Le Mans and Formula 1 racing cars. The chips can be combined with all Albat sound tuning products.

Once they’re attached, not only to your hi-fi system (amplifiers, speakers, power strips, plugs, cables, etc.), but also to anything that affects the sound of a system (e.g. furniture, racks, spikes, etc.) they will give you a more powerful sound with a nearly holographic image and the typical “Albat-like” fascinating reproduction of micro-details.

One chip is enough for clearly perceptible sound optimization of each device or object, but you can use as many chips on your devices and in your listening room as you like. Each chip lets you dive even deeper into the music.

This product overrides the technical limitations of HiFi and sound systems, allowing you to bring your chain up to a level of quality that will be the envy of owners of extremely expensive equipment.

This product comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee."

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
One must remember that the users of these users ARE experiencing a change in the sound of their system. It’s called expectation bias, and the fact that they believe that the fuses make an improvement, along with the reinforcement of the belief through the fact that they payed for it, and installed it, will make the expectation true for them

This is how all the little tweaks and such work... Think about somebody who pays $10,000 for some fancy wire to connect 2 components together... if you believed it so much that you were willing to spend that kind of money, you think that you could get home, place into the system and hear no difference?

Completely correct. These definitely "bypass the technical limitations"- that's very good phrasing- technical has nothing to do with how they're affecting perception. I do think we sometimes get differences that are technically hard to justify that actually DO affect sound, but stickers are purely for the true believers.

Fuses do offer enhancement.

Just use your ears!

Attachments

• Fuse Earings.jpg
    Fuse Earings.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 296

"The new Ultimate is extremely difficult to build considering Audio Magic is drilling into both sides of the fuse now, sometimes it takes up to 3 tries to get one good fuse - lots of labor involved."

Yeah... I don't really want a modified fuse that has unreliable production methods near my equipment. I prefer my equipment not break or burn my house down.

The hell is wrong with people....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.