Using Speakon Vs Binding posts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a set of speakers and was wondering if it was advisable to use speakon over traditional binding posts?

Which leads me to my second question, if it is advisable to use them then what type of speakon connection will I need to install in the cabinet for a standard two connection setup?

Something like this?
Neutrik NL2MP Speakon 2 Pole Panel Mount 092-059
Only this looks like it is for an Amp mount. And I don't understand the 2 pole, 4 pole, and 8 pole versions?

The traditional 5-way binding posts have, in my opinion, always been a crappy kind of connector. I've had many cases where the connection was tough to make to begin with - specifically with spade connectors - and would rattle loose after a while. I much prefer banana plugs.

The Neutrik Speakon connectors are quite nice. It's a solid connector with a mechanical locking mechanism. They are a bit bulkier than the normal 5-way connector, though.

The 2-pole has allows for connecting two wires (speaker PLUS and MINUS for example). The 4-pole version allows for four wires to be connected - handy for a 2-way speaker where you want to biwire. 8-poles allows for eight wires.

~Tom

The nice thing about binding posts is that you don't need to attach a connector to your speaker wires, you can just connect them as-is.

Speakons were developed for the professional installation, especially for bands that might play a different place every night, because you just plug in your cables and go, but of course if you want to go to the effort I'm sure they would be great for home use.

When I played in a band, yes, we used speakon connectors for our PA. Heavy duty, easy and quick to connect/disconnect, not easily damaged. For home audio I would go with standard binding posts. Bare wire is good, as stated by planet10, although I usually tin the bare ends of mine.

Last edited:
I am building a set of speakers and was wondering if it was advisable to use speakon...
Only this looks like it is for an Amp mount.
There is also a round version of the panel Speakon. They are faster connections, more like plug&play. You can buy ready made.
Stage Equipment
20M Speakon Lead
...over traditional binding posts?
They are cable friendly, whenever you need to test a new cable or change it with different lengths. Have to love solid copper.
Various versions Speaker binding posts | Hifi Collective

Speakons are difficult to assemble, the first time you try them, especially with large wire. If you're in production, and your target audience is likely drunk and/or high (ie, working roadies and musicians), then they are worth the trouble, but I can't really recommend them for one-time use in the home.

Here at home, where I know how long the wire needs to be to reach the amps, I just drill two small overlapping holes in the back of the cabinet and force the wire through, sealing it with glue afterwards. No connection = no problems.

I am building a set of speakers and was wondering if it was advisable to use speakon over traditional binding posts?

Yes.

Which leads me to my second question, if it is advisable to use them then what type of speakon connection will I need to install in the cabinet for a standard two connection setup?

One of the air-tight panel-mount ones with tabs or solder pads. The ones with screw termination are not air-tight.

I like the versatility of 5-way posts. Because we are swapping in & out a lot we use dual pomona connectors on the speaker cable, but for more permanent installs bare wire. I'd never use spades.

Problem is, because dual bananas are banned in the EU, many terminal plates are sized to preclude their use.

While perhaps debatably superior to dual bananas, Speakons are much quicker to connect/disconnect than single bananas. And because the contacts are recessed, there's no possibility of frying an amp by inadvertently touching the leads together.

Speakons are difficult to assemble, the first time you try them, especially with large wire.

Not really. It's just four set screws for a standard NL4. (True, the one ergonomic flaw of the Speakon is that the poles are poorly labeled; the "SPX" ones are better in that regard than the originals, because they have "2+" and "2-" screened on the outside.) Also, Neutrik's screw-actuated lever puts more even pressure on a wire than a set screw does, leading to a larger area of gas-tight connection. It's just a better design than the typical banana held in place by one or two set screws.

I like Speakons, I use the 4way to connect my active Tannoy DCs to the amps.
Makes it almost impossible to accidentally fry anything, aided by the fact that the treble amp too has speakon outputs while the bass amp has bare-wire terminals, and they are air-tight.
Easy to fit with just one small screwdriver.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Speakons are difficult to assemble, the first time you try them, especially with large wire.

They are designed for a maximum of 2.5mm2 cable. Yes, you'll have difficulty if you try to get any larger in, but why should you need to?

If you're in production, and your target audience is likely drunk and/or high (ie, working roadies and musicians)...

Not these days, kit costs too much and insurance premiums too high. Unless you're talking about pub bands that is... :)

Here at home, where I know how long the wire needs to be to reach the amps, I just drill two small overlapping holes in the back of the cabinet and force the wire through, sealing it with glue afterwards. No connection = no problems.

Sensible, but a little inflexible.

Speakons are much quicker to connect/disconnect than single bananas. And because the contacts are recessed, there's no possibility of frying an amp by inadvertently touching the leads together.
Am I the only one that cuts the wires to different lengths so the ends can't touch inadvertently?

Not really. It's just four set screws for a standard NL4.
It's not the screws I had trouble with, it was the cover and that little piece inside. I couldn't screw the cover on all the way, then because that little piece grabbed on something, I couldn't screw it off, either. Made it a one-way ratchet. Finally, I got it apart, and it all worked when I installed the right angle kit (which is rather nifty, really). But all the twisting put a wrinkle in the shrink tubing that holds the Flexo sleeving in place. :(

... although I usually tin the bare ends of mine.

In many countries, there are regulations against tinning wire ends where they will be fastened in screw terminals in mains power applications. It's a safety issue / fire risk. Safety is not an issue for speaker connections but the problem remains. The solder "creeps" with time, loosening the connection.

Something like this?
Neutrik NL2MP Speakon 2 Pole Panel Mount 092-059
Only this looks like it is for an Amp mount. And I don't understand the 2 pole, 4 pole, and 8 pole versions?

Speakon is better in every way. They are even cheaper than many other types of connectors. They are standard in the pro-audio field. They are safe, with no exposed conductors and have very low contact resistance. At one time they were to expensive for home use but prices have come down a lot.

"2 pole" simply means there are two conductors. 4-pole uses four wires and so on. the 2 and 4 pole parts will interconnect (but of course only 2 or the 4 pins in the 4-pole connector will have a mate)

Many people will just use the four pole connector and wire two of the pins in parallel. The other use of the 4-pole connector is to bi-amp the speakers.

the larger 8-pole types are best used for professional sound systems where is is common to gang many speakers together and then power them with multiple amps. Something like making a line array you'd hang off the ceiling, not something you'd do at home

Am I the only one that cuts the wires to different lengths so the ends can't touch inadvertently?

I've done that too. But now that Speakon has become the standard there is no need on new builds.

Speakon works very well on the speaker and of the cable. Bt one thing I don't like about them on the amplifier and is that there is no switch. If I use a 1/4" phone jack on the amp, they can have contacts that open and close when the plug is inserted that can be put to use.

But one the amp side they are still better then binding posts. There is no way a Speakon can by shorted or come loose and you can literally connect/disconnect them with your eyes closed or in place where you can reach but not see

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.