3-way - Tower Speaker Project with Seas Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to modify the crossover. If I feel it improves the overall tonal balance, I may finaly actually solder the crossover.

bassically Im happy with the sound. However, I feel I can improve it. by raising the Actual high pass frequancy on the bass cones.

I dont recall atp if the pms crossover I utalised/slightly modifyed, was set for 200hz or the origional 500hz I had in mind I think it Was 500

but I know by now, that the Driver used is also a varable that effects the crossover pitch. so for example, with the origional 8inch sea's driver the crossover was designed for.. the crossover may have rolled off at 500,
with these 10" drivers, I sence.. they roll of sooner,

the low bass, bass, high bass range is good, the midrange is clear and loud, and rather invisably matched to the tweeters,

however I percive and have for looong while a slight , dip in the sound between the mid and the woofers,
the mids sound great, crossed at a good frequancy for them, so they sound the vocals great, but I hear them fully then the woofers sound like there not producing in the range of sound Juuuuust before that,

All in all I percive the woofers need to play slightly higher, I sence because I used the 10" seas driver the crossover is how to put it, tuned slightly lower, so to match to the midrange perfecly I need to up its higher tonal responce,

I now know what area of the crossover to modify,

the bass roll off

what would I alter to allow the woofer to sound juuust abit more in the lower-mid vocal area before the mids play

I do hear it, its very clear and well voiced, But I sence there Is this One key area for improvement before I complete my project.

I know what I need is a very minor adjustment and it Is for the woofer crossover.

I suppose I first need to get a crossover simulater, imput the driver, and the woofer crossover components and see what curve is shown to see if it confirms my sence.

It could be I should keep it as it is, as the voicing Is supurb. but Not supurflious which is what I am intending.

I Know there is Alot more to learn by now, What is a good crossover design program, and How the tunning of the box may effect the higher portion of the frequancy responce and Possably be the cause of the precived lul in the higher Low male voice spectrum comming from the woofers. (the point where the mids seem to suddenly play loud with not much precived sound from the woofers in the sound juuuust below the mids.. It may be its just how it is, I dont hear the lower mids seperatly from the ones where the woofers seem to be putting out nothing much oweing to human perception being as it is and thus am hearing Higher tones from the mid drivers as that percived sudden loudness, as the mid drivers are a small area compated to the bass cones. I guess if I could hear the bass drivers playing those tones there would be phase concerns so It may be right as it is,

but still I Sence strongly that I can improve the responce curve of the lower mid comming from the woofers. so it doesnt suddenly sound like the mids sorta Appear when you stand close to the speakers

I will try to Voice what I mean abit better tomorrow

Also would be interesting to re run some simulations bassed on the final box volume and port length to see if it Actually ws the 25 cycles or If I accedently ported them a bit lower,

and also to see about Harmonics, and Actual responce,

and good imput appreciated.

*I purpousfully tuned them low so that the 100-500hz spectrum would be flat. So I Most concider it is the Crossover which needs perfecting.

Last edited:

Attachments

• crossover_V5.png
    crossover_V5.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 157
I am running quick imperfect simulation using horn resp.

as a Note, I am sure horn resp is only interested in the Area of the Cabinet and the Area of the port. Not the Shape of the Cabinet or the port.

so the shape of the box is shown like this as if it where in 3d it would be the same viewed from above. My speaker cabinets are Certainly Not this shape and the ports are Within the Cabinets, so Given the Area of my boxes is around 100L ... (the Exact area I do not recall, I think when I said around 100l I had already in my mind subtracted a few genorus liters for driver basket and cabinet brace)

..I needed to make it 98L for the horn responce simulation, as in horn responce it is showing the port sticking out of the box, where as in actuality it is Within the box and its volume is around 2 liters. :nod:

I am not sure how accuratly I have transfured the data of port dimentions as the port is cylindrical..... Radius: 5.15cm Length: 23cm

as far as I know, horn resp, for a vented alinement.. is only interested in the Volume of the port as the sound is pressure waves and doest care about how long or wide the port is for the sumulation even if in the real world it matters to some extent. Is that Right? all I did was play about with s3s4s5 untill the port showed close enougth to the 1.9L with the length set at 23cm.

I am Supprised that this Simulation is showing I actually ended up with a 30hz tuning, the simulations I did when I was alot younger that where Not in hornresp showed it as 25. but that is Assuming the Imputs for the driver are all in order.

It could be in real life the tuning is indeed closer to my origionaly intended 25 or so.

Anyway. The main Point, even showing with the 30hz tuning is showing some roll off in horn resp between 350-500 which could account for some of the lul I mentioned.

I have also played with a sim where I set the tuning to 25, it shows a null at 300hz and then a incline followed by a resoundent peek abit furter up the spectrum LUCKALY however, with the 30hz tuning... thats not so relevent at all and only appearsat 600hz, but there is still some decline from about 300hz.

The thing is. in Real use I sence I am more likely tuned to 25hz, if this is so then it could explain alot

I should first decern where exactly the port is tuned to.I can likely do this with a frequancy generator and observation of the cones.

If it is, that I tuned to 30 hz, it is more likely the crossover that needs attention

If it is that I tuned to 25... then I may concider a test where I add some volume into one of the cabinets by way of small water bottles or something to see if that improves the afformentioned, 'area of sound before the mid'

Here are the sims, It is showing the cabinet and driver combination to be 30hz Tuneing?

I should be able to do a Test to find the Actual Tuning of the cabinets tomorrow (providing the room doesnt alter that)

I always liked the nodding smiley. :nod:

There is likely someone who can run a more accurate sim that I, including with the xover. with the information provided. who was it...

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 156
Hi WaVeInFoRm!

I used the same drivers in a similar configuration as yours. I had the same "problem" between the woofer and mid. I don't know if this is my incompetence or something else, but I couldn't get it right (to my ears), so I left the project.

I wonder what you get out of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.