Scanspeak Illuminator Midrange 12MU in Open Baffle - Opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I'm thinking about starting a new 3-way design utilizing the Scanspeak 12MU/4731T-00 midrange driver. To me, this driver looks ideal for an open baffle configuration. Therefore, I'm considering placing placing this midrange and a tweeter in an open baffle on top of a vented or sealed woofer cabinet, such as Nola (formerly Alon) does with their designs. Before I get too along, does anyone have any thoughts on how this approach would work? Thanks in advance.

Hello. I'm thinking about starting a new 3-way design utilizing the Scanspeak 12MU/4731T-00 midrange driver. To me, this driver looks ideal for an open baffle configuration. Therefore, I'm considering placing placing this midrange and a tweeter in an open baffle on top of a vented or sealed woofer cabinet, such as Nola (formerly Alon) does with their designs. Before I get too along, does anyone have any thoughts on how this approach would work? Thanks in advance.

I think this is a perfect midrange for an OB 3-way speaker. The magnet is rather unintrusive, and the klippel tests show it to be top-tier right up to xmax. Sensitivity is nice on a whole, too.

I'm not a believer in dipole midranges over monopole woofers though. If you've got an OB, make the speaker OB at least down to around 50hz. Otherwise make the whole speaker monopole.

The 8 ohm version is perhaps the best overall midrange tested by Zaph (..it's in his "Blog" section).

As for the design.. this depends completely on the size of the baffle and your expected lower freq. response.

An Edge sim will give you an idea of pressure loss due to smaller baffle - which usually isn't pretty. Home of the Edge

I believe you can see this driver used OB in very expensive loudspeaker from the Lotus Group here:
cespd6

The 8 ohm version is perhaps the best overall midrange tested by Zaph (..it's in his "Blog" section).

As for the design.. this depends completely on the size of the baffle and your expected lower freq. response.

An Edge sim will give you an idea of pressure loss due to smaller baffle - which usually isn't pretty. Home of the Edge

I believe you can see this driver used OB in very expensive loudspeaker from the Lotus Group here:
cespd6

No help for me or my finance provider from John.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.