A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

I measured the test tone at:

• 2 volts or less

Votes: 334 40.6%
  • Between 2-5 volts

Votes: 252 30.6%
  • Between 5-10 volts

Votes: 106 12.9%
  • Between 10-20 volts

Votes: 55 6.7%
  • Over 20 volts.

Votes: 76 9.2%

• Total voters
Up to, but rather less than 5v for me, easily, with either test tone.

Previous measurements see my average listening level somewhere around the 50-80mV averaged level, using Impulse H2s at an honest 94 -95dB/w I've verified, in a room 6.0 x 4.2 x 2.7m.

Which is about right - my average listening level calculates as 75-80dB SPLmean. I pushed this test tone and metered c.108-110db mean for the 'really, that's rather more than enough' level. I run a pair of nominally 50w amps* which therefore appear sufficient.

Nice test, Pano.

*though >70w actual delivered into this impedance before clipping, 'scope matches calculation.

Last edited:
Yeah, hard to say and it depends on the tone. I can stand a lot louder tone at 220Hz than at 1000Hz, that's for sure! But I do find that I can play music at a higher average level than most tones, so agree with you. Just hard to say. Do you think that puts you in the 5-10V range, then?
When testing I was running them as part of a 3 way, active, so the bearable SPL was full range. I measured the LF section as it was least efficient and I was curious as to what sort of drive levels I was using then.

If broadband that were to represent the loudest average level, then yes, I'm in the 5-10V range. In reality, most of the time, it would also be somewhat close to a peak level. I don't usually listen loud, but sometimes.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for contributing.

Martin. If you measure loud and normal, you'll see how fast the level gets high when you push it. One of the reasons pro rig need so much power.
The circa 80dB mark seems to be where a lot of folks are for serious listening. It may be related to room size, I don't know.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
High Pano, great thread :)

OK then here we go. Music used, Beethoven Symphony No.5 1st and 4th movement on SACD. Really turned it up for this.

A sound level meter with 10 ms response time at the listening position showed between 82 and 87 dbc.

Using your 220 hz test I measured 5 volts RMS (AVO 8) across the speakers (B&W 703)
The sound level meter showed 98dbc during this test.

What is interesting is how you can easily hear the room exitation and cancellation points. At some points in the room you can almost null the tone out by careful head positioning.

I've set the volume at the max level I can support on the rock (actualy AC/DC back in black), on the classical/light jazz I can go much higher, it depend realy on the music played.

So using the AC/DC setting I've measured a bit less than 0.6V playing your 120Hz-12dB.mp3

Hi pano great tread IMO as well.

Managed to run test
120 Hz =4.6437V
220 HZ = 4.69

On Meterx3282 DM
This at the volume setting I normaly use if Nigbours are out and she is gone shopping.

I am using a Pair of Polk LSi15 with My F5
From this I am looking at peaks of around 19 V
How this vould relate to suply rails at +26 -26 V on the F5 ?
How much head room I got rougly?

Briliant tread

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Mooly and Vladimir. You have seen the old rule that classical music needs a bigger amp. :) Why? Because it's recorded at a lower average level than most other music, but the peaks still go all the way up. To play that lower recorded level up were you want it, and not clip the peaks, you need a ton of headroom.

Heavy Rock has always been recorded with a high average level, very little dynamic range. You won't need a lot of headroom, but you will need an amp with a good power supply to keep rocking along at that level all the time.

@Bksabath. Interesting that your measurements were so close at the two frequencies. Either a nice flat impedance curve, a low output impedance amp, or both. But you mention an F5.

As for your headroom, I don't know at what voltage the F5 clips, but I'm sure someone here does. You have about 2dB I think. That doesn't leave you a lot, but you might not notice. Amps with benign clipping behavior don't sound bad if you clip a few peaks. More than a few, actually.

Thanks for taking part in the survey, guys.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Vladimir. I took a look at the title track from Back in Black. It's pretty loud all the time, but not as bad as I thought. Thru most of the song the average level is -13dB. It's not nearly as squashed as many modern recordings. See graph below.

Attachments

• BiB.png
    BiB.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,904
This poll got me thinking:idea:. loud seems to be ~107dbc in-room for most, It was for me. But that was accomplished with seven mains. With the -12db 220hz tone each main was getting 1.4Vac to produce 95dbc each. For someone getting that same spl In-room with only two mains they are going to need more voltage... but that doesn't seem to be true. Room size could be the culprit. Or sensitivity with conventional full range mains could be generally higher. :confused: interesting stuff

It was interesting that my sub needed only 4x the power to keep up with the seven mains and for 0db would only need 125w.

Thanks,
revb.

That's right, this poll relies on the subjective perception of "loud enough" and not on a precise level of dB. This lack of numbers makes the approach interesting but adds also an uncontrolled variable, that's why it's better to give a few infos on the room and the system.

I will say a big evidence : a great room allows a higher level, already by the increased listening distance. There is also the blurry notion of how much dB to fill a space following the boundaries absorption and the volume. The distorsion of the drivers + amps as the general balance must be some other factors. If it's not screaming, huge pressures can be endured with a "big" system, but beware of hear losses.

Last edited:
2 volts or less for the mid/tweet, but the bass units require more as I've opted for small sealed boxes + LT to make the loudspeakers more visually acceptable. Still this doesn't go beyond much more then around 1 watts @ 8 ohms, but this is heavily dependent on the source material. The subs can eat a decent amount with movies though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Right. The test doesn't ask for an SPL, just "as loud as you ever go." That's going to be different for different people, for sure. But it does let you know just how much voltage you need at your personal maximum. (We'll talk power next week).

It does seem that "loud enough" is fairly consistent from room to room, tho. I know that I can stand a much higher SPL in a big space than a small one. My room is about 300 cubic feet and with decent sonic treatment. 105dB peak is about all I want. In a bigger space, that might go up 10dB.

See room below.

Attachments

• room-pano-1.jpg
    room-pano-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,081
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Jerome. That's pretty high, I don't think your 50W amp will have any headroom at those levels. In fact I think you'll be clipping anything above about -5dB.
Of course if you don't actually run that high most of the time, you'd be OK.

No problem for my amp, 500W of power behind them, 50W/8ohms --> 100W/4ohms
My amp gives true watt ! You can trust the result ;)
I listen music with very high level ! I am not still deaf :D
The minimum speaker I tolerate is 8"+1". 5"+1", 6"+1" can't supply the level i listen.
Yes these levels are rare because my neighbours will knock at my doors.