HiVi D6G 6" - Need help choosing components please :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm needing a bit of help and if anyone has any input that would be great.

I have myself two HiVi 6 inch kevlar speakers (link: HiVi D6G 6" Kevlar/Paper Woofer 297-420) and I plan on building some simple bookshelf type enclosures (well that sort of size to give you an idea) and I just want help choosing the right crossovers and tweeters please :)

My main options are the tweeters at my local store, but if you guys reckon I need something different then I'm willing to buy online. So here are my options so far:

25mm Titanium Dome Tweeter
Specifications:

•Power nominal: 50WRMS
• Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
• Frequency response: 2-20kHz
• Sensitivity: 91dB (1W at 1m)
25mm Titanium Dome Tweeter - Jaycar Electronics

Vifa D25AG Tweeter

Power handling: 100WRMS
• Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
• Frequency response: 1.5kHz - 20kHz
• Recommended crossover: 3kHz, 12dB/octave
• Sensitivity: 89dB 1W@1m
Vifa D25AG Tweeter - Jaycar Electronics

I was hoping to keep this (my first speaker project) reasonably simple as well so I had planned on choosing from the prebuilt crossovers they have at the shop but once again if you guys reckon otherwise then I'm willing to listen.

There crossovers are on this page, they only have a few. Jaycar Electronics - Search results crossover

I hope Im not asking to much here but any help would be great :) and Ill be sure to post some pics afterwards.

Thanks

Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need to design the crossover yourself as the impedance of the driver isn't constant and will effect loading on the LC filter of the premade crossover and alter the desired frequancy response. In addition to this the prebuilt crossover dosen't know about any iregularites in the individual drivers response that can be corrected at the crossover or the sensitivty mismatch of your drivers (typical the tweeter is more sensitive and must be reduced in level using a resistor divider).

*read the sticky on designing crossovers without measurment (although I personaly would measure everything) as it includes the basic design procedure

Last edited:
I would go with the Vifa.

Before reading the below, keep in mind that this is only my second attempt at a sim, and I have no way to confirm that it is accurate.

I did a crossover and box sim, which you can see below. It's centered somewhere in the 2K region, which, with a 3rd order network should be fine for that woofer/tweeter combination. Components sizes are all pretty easy to find. Thew in ~3dB of BSC for a ~9" wide baffle and some padding on the tweeter to even things out. Below 200hz is spliced in from WinISD assuming a 0.33ft^3 box tuned to 40hz which should provide a well behaved rolloff. Adjust to taste :)

(keep in mind that the baffle loss is not calculated in, the rise on the bottom end is intentional)

You could probably do without the notch filter to reduce component costs but slight adjustments elsewhere might be preferred.... The second attachment shows the build with the notch filter disconnected and a few changes to other components (Lpad and high pass components). More time could be spent honing in an even nicer looking response but I doubt anyone would be able to hear the difference.

Eric

Attachments

• Selection_022.png
    Selection_022.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Selection_023.png
    Selection_023.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Here's another variation... (still learning the software so I just found the chart with each driver plotted along with the combined)

Global BSC really isn't the best way to deal with the 2pi->4pi transition. You can increase the LP inductor, and maybe tweak the HP to deal with it with fewer parts.

I will also say that a notch on the plateau of the D6G would be easier to flatten it out without the dip becoming an issue just before it, while using a bottomless LC to comp above the xover to kill the breakups. ~2kHz is its upper limit.

The tweeter may not reach the D6 without the notch to tame the Fs, but a parallel resistor could suffice a bit simpler.

Not saying it's flawed, but that there are other options.

Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.