help with box size for deltalite II 2510

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

WinISD gives me about 60Lt ( 2.12 cu.ft. ) tuned 50Hz. I would like to reduce this to about 50 Lt. if possible, which when modelled raises f3 slightly and provides a shallower roll off. This droopy response may suit the small room better.

What I am after though is best SQ with regard to transients and dynamics. This is for home sound so max. power handling is not a priority. f3 is close to 50Hz. Would this provide reasonable bass untill subs are added ?

Also perhaps someone can explain what to look for when viewing the group delay, and how to find max. SPL and at what power.

Searching these forums has not helped much with Eminence Deltalite II 2510

Regards
Charles

Would this provide reasonable bass untill subs are added ?

It'll cover 95% of the audible spectrum. SO, yes. FWIW

Also perhaps someone can explain what to look for when viewing the group delay, and how to find max. SPL and at what power.

things to look at forLimitations on max spl

-Thermal Power (not a problem with the eminence)
-xmax above tuning (and below too, although music content below there shouldn't be a problem. The ~70hz-100hz region is a big killer on a lot of content.
-rear vent air velocity

Group delay isn't worth fretting over indoors. THe sound will bounce back and forth in the room much longer than group delay would ever impact the sound. Just make sure there aren't any standing waves inside the box (i recommend modeling any vented box as a mass loaded transmission line whether it behaves that way or not, so that you can get an idea if there needs to be any modifications)

Last edited:
.......... Would this provide reasonable bass untill subs are added ?

If you plan to add subs soon, then i think that you shouldn't bother with calculating cabinet for BR box.

Make it smaller and closed and then listen to it until you get the subwoofers you want. It won't sound great without subs, but why bother to make cabinets that big if you won't use its potential when you add subs.

That's just my opinion. Doesn't mean that you have to listen to me :D

According to Dickason an SBB4 alignment provides the best transient response. WinISD groups BB4/SBB4 together and suggests a 41Lt box with f3 at 56Hz. Enlarging this to 55Lt ( max. size for this room ) gives f3 at 49Hz.

So as I move away from SBB4 transient performance is degraded. Like everything there is always compromise. I woulkd like to know just how audible these effects are.

In otherwords which of these in the real world would sound better. Do I sacrifice transients or a little bass.

Hi,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• DeltaliteII_2510_closed-ported.JPG
    DeltaliteII_2510_closed-ported.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 435
@ bjorno : thanks for that info.

Space constraints preclude me from using a 12" driver so discussing the 2512 unfortunately does not help my decision with the 2510.

Will an f3 of about 50Hz be really dissapointing. If so then I need to find a different 10". Subs will be added eventually but untill then I was hoping I could get halfway decent performance from this, as detailed in Parts Express techtalk forum. See Econowave Delite 10.

What is also attractive about this design is that it has the XO honed to provide one of the smoothest response curves using the B&C DE250. Close to +/_ 1dB.

Also if I use another driver I don't have the experience nor facilities to work out changes to the XO.

I have used the Deltalite 2510 II in a 2-way loudspeaker with the Ciare 1.38 TW horn tweeter. Box size about 2 cu. ft. tuned to 49Hz. It takes a while to break in the 2510s driven by my SE amp, but the results are worth it. Plenty of bass response for me. You will need a sub woofer for extreme low content, but for music I'm really happy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.