Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Restoring Monitor Audio R300 bookshelf speakers.
Restoring Monitor Audio R300 bookshelf speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2020, 07:40 PM   #41
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having established you can do all sorts of things with these 8" bass speakers, including adding Monacor HT22-8 cone tweeters with a simple enough circuit, I want to update adding the 94mm Morel CAT298 soft dome. If you can only find the 104mm version, a bit of woodwork is required.

Some of the red components are optional, but certainly add something. The main event is we have to take down the more efficient Morel CAT298 by changing the 2.2R input resistor for the SEAS 19TAF/G to 3.9R. However you do the circuit, simple or complicated. That's a couple of decibels, and just stops it shrieking or getting overly intrusive.

Replacement woofers aren't too hard either. People with an R352 reflex might think about a Visaton W200S-8 or a host of 8" SEAS or Vifa units. People with a closed box R252 might think about a bargain Seas P21RE/P.

I can't guarantee the cloth grille will fit, but hey, just measure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor Audio R300-MD with Morel CAT298 cabinet.JPG (69.1 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor Audio Circuit CAT298.JPG (58.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor Audio with CAT 298.JPG (51.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor Audio with CAT298 tweeter.JPG (61.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor Audio CAT 298 Electrical.JPG (59.4 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by system7; 13th February 2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:02 AM   #42
Jonb87 is offline Jonb87
diyAudio Member

This project of mine is finally starting to happen. I’ve started to refurbish the boxes and will also redo the grills. I have ordered a pair of 19TFF and are planning to use the original bas drivers. After reading on the forum and looking at different crossover designs, I’m a bit confused and wonder if you cold confirm which of the designs will fit the original bas driver and the seas 19TFF? This would be very helpful!
Old 26th March 2020, 10:53 AM   #43
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well done, Jonb87. Do your friends call you Sloop John B?

Did you say the SEAS 19TAF/G metal tweeters were missing? I patched mine up with new ferrofluid from Blue Aran. Some models came with a similar soft dome.

Here's the original factory Monitor Audio crossover:

Click the image to open in full size.

If I was doing this now, I would use this one:

Click the image to open in full size.

I wouldn't worry about the exact bass coil value. 1.6mH to 1.8mH is nothing. You could probably reuse the 0.3mH too. Shouldn't make a huge difference, or you unwind it about 20% of the turns. I model with different but similar drivers quite often. Sheer laziness really.

Restoring Monitor Audio R300 bookshelf speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!