Alesis monitor one mkii speaker modification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One year ago i bought these speakers : Monitor One MKII .
First auditions were good, but they gave me the impression of too much highs & bass with laid back mids.
I opened them and changed the cheap quality bipolar caps of the crossovers with good quality MKP's at the exact same value. ( i used wima mkp10 & vishay mkp1940).
Oh my god !!! They are transformed into a high-end class speakers.
They play even better than my Sonus Faber Concertino's.
And the good thing is that they cost 150euro for a pair + overall built quality is great .
I'm not an Alesis dealer, i just want to share this info with you in case you want to buy cheap speakers & get a transformed set after a small modification !!!
Vassilis

i shoul do that !

Hi
I will upgrade the coils too, but i haven't got time to do it yet. So far with the cap tweak they are getting better & better everyday. When i do that i will make a copy of the crossover values & post it here.

This is good Vasili, thanks for sharing.

Have you think upgrading the coils also?
Do you have the circuit diagram of the original crossover?

I have a pair of what I believe are the original Alesis mini-monitors. It sounds like revamping their crossovers would be a good thing. As fr as I'm concerned, getting rid of those consarned bipolar electrolytics is never a bad thing, even if you only upgrade them to polyesters...

Last edited:
I had the active version (the M1 Mk II) for a while and agree its somewhat dry, but that is afterall the point and trademark sound of the monitor one and its the reason to this day you will find a pair of them as a point of reference in just about every major recording studio. good chance the boominess you were experiencing is more to do with the room/placement than anything else

Never had a problem with boominess with these speakers. I started the topic because i used them ones for listening to music at my leaving room, they were good (dry as you mention with laid back mids) but after changing the caps they transformed into something else. Now the are permanently connected to my system, never harsh & can play loud without the highs making you ears hurt. A cheap solution if you don't want to pay a fortune for expensive pairs, with just a tweak.

First auditions were good, but they gave me the impression of too much highs & bass with laid back mids.

hmm this is why i misunderstood, this to me reads as if you found they were all boom and tizz with smiley face EQ and that doesnt sound like them. i did find however that the 'bass port' toilet roll needed a bit of adjustment because one side hit a resonant frequency around 53-55hz that caused an annoying slight distortion

Last edited:
I'm guessing the B2031P would be a better buy.

truths? nah those things are just boring, there is flat and then there is boring. i looked at the active version of the truths when i was buying the alesis, listened to both in the shop using one of the tracks i was working on and it was pretty immediately UNinvolving. flat, but not in a good way, there was not a lot of depth to the sound, nor sound field. no the KRK are better in that price range and then the next one up the mackies and adams

Last edited:
truths? nah those things are just boring, there is flat and then there is boring. i looked at the active version of the truths when i was buying the alesis, listened to both in the shop using one of the tracks i was working on and it was pretty immediately UNinvolving. flat, but not in a good way, there was not a lot of depth to the sound, nor sound field. no the KRK are better in that price range and then the next one up the mackies and adams
What do you suppose is the difference that makes them inferior? I'd have to say that speakers are 95% science nowadays.

the sound for one ha, its more than a science, its backed by good science, but its application of that science and how effective that is, that makes the difference here. also TBH behringer are not known for being consistent, they make some good value products and they make some truly awful, cheaply made dogs and inferior products. there is a segment, lets call it the bang for buck segment of the behringer gear that is feature rich, but unmistakably made to a budget. the look, feel/build quality, function and sound is lacking. on the other hand they have hit the mark quite well with a number of products too, i think the ADA8000 is one of the better buys in its segment and fantastic value, with reasonable but not fantastic mic pres and sampling and they just keep on going. their DJ mixers on the other hand, at least a few (ok more than a few) years ago were poorly made, dinky gimmicky products that subscribed to 'creeping featurism'

they are not, however known for making high end consumer/professional product, the other companies i mentioned all have some pretty high end offerings that are mainstays in studios all over the world and this tech/research and tooling trickles down into the rest of the line up. this cannot really be said for Behringer, who are known for decent quality mostly good value 'me too' product that goes into a lot of home project studios, or full blown studios as backup gear. but shows no real inovation

is this answer satisfactory? =D

Last edited:
the sound for one ha, its more than a science, its backed by good science, but its application of that science and how effective that is, that makes the difference here. also TBH behringer are not known for being consistent, they make some good value products and they make some truly awful, cheaply made dogs and inferior products. there is a segment, lets call it the bang for buck segment of the behringer gear that is feature rich, but unmistakably made to a budget. the look, feel/build quality, function and sound is lacking. on the other hand they have hit the mark quite well with a number of products too, i think the ADA8000 is one of the better buys in its segment and fantastic value, with reasonable but not fantastic mic pres and sampling and they just keep on going. their DJ mixers on the other hand, at least a few (ok more than a few) years ago were poorly made, dinky gimmicky products that subscribed to 'creeping featurism'

they are not, however known for making high end consumer/professional product, the other companies i mentioned all have some pretty high end offerings that are mainstays in studios all over the world and this tech/research and tooling trickles down into the rest of the line up. this cannot really be said for Behringer, who are known for decent quality mostly good value 'me too' product that goes into a lot of home project studios, or full blown studios as backup gear. but shows no real inovation

is this answer satisfactory? =D
Nope. You didn't talk about anything specific about those speakers except perhaps that QC is subpar.

well i dont know what you expect me to say, i listened to both in an ideal environment with material that was very well known to me as it was my material and the truths lost my attention immediately as the worse of the 2, lacking midrange and midbass quality compared to reference headphones (HD600), i walked away with the M1 MkII active, thus i didnt buy them or care enough about them to give you more dettail. since then i've had numerous experiences personally and by proxy that tells me to be very wary buying their gear because of SERIOUS QC issues and a general lack of quality, or seemingly even the pursuit of it. i spent about 12 months with the M1 till i bought a set of KRK V6 series 2 which i have to this day

Last edited:
Hello There.
I just suggested a tweak to make these Alesis speakers sing !!!! Don't go to far with arguing which is good & which is bad here.
Next step for me is to remove the inductors & put air core ones.
The topic is about MAKING ALESIS MONITOR ONE MKII VERSION EVEN BETTER !!!!
By the way.
Mary Christmas to all of you.

Hello There.
I just suggested a tweak to make these Alesis speakers sing !!!! Don't go to far with arguing which is good & which is bad here.
Next step for me is to remove the inductors & put air core ones.
The topic is about MAKING ALESIS MONITOR ONE MKII VERSION EVEN BETTER !!!!
By the way.
Mary Christmas to all of you.
Do you know resistance of the air core will damp the woofer a little...:( unless you use (v.) low resistance inductors (you can control output and "brightness" of woofer driver this way @low frequencies). Will not affect amplitude in crossover band.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.