DIY Synergy horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are we speaking from praactical measure or theory here?
Today i drew a 60x40 horn using a 1" celestion CD with four 2.5" Tympany cone mids whose position is as close to the CD throat as possible. If i draw parallel lines from the acoustic center of the CD and the mids taking into account the direct radiation from the cone's acoustic center, i'm less than 1 cm apart? That's far better than most off the shelf audiophile 2 ways with dome tweeters and 180mm woofers.

unity-interference.jpg

In the Danley Synergy Horns the midranges lead the tweeter by almost fifteen centimeters.
Without the coupling chamber (aka bandpass) the time difference would be too large, and you'd need DSP to fix things.

This is one of the reasons the Yorkville Paraline boxes use DSP; their midranges are direct radiators.

You can sim this in Akabak or Hornresp.

I have an observation/question regarding synergy driver placement.

Do the drivers need to be physically attached to the waveguide? ... or could a manifold be used to transfer the sound waves. This might enable woofers (et. all) to be connected within a 1/4 WL without the space needed for the actual driver ... just a pipe. ... or a collar type flange between the waveguide and the tweeter driver where all the other frequencies "mix" via the separate tube(s). A collector of sorts.

Last edited:
I have an observation/question regarding synergy driver placement.

Do the drivers need to be physically attached to the waveguide? ... or could a manifold be used to transfer the sound waves. This might enable woofers (et. all) to be connected within a 1/4 WL without the space needed for the actual driver ... just a pipe. ... or a collar type flange between the waveguide and the tweeter driver where all the other frequencies "mix" via the separate tube(s). A collector of sorts.

You have to keep the port length short.
If you don't, the port rolls of the highs too much, and the distance that the wavefront has to travel introduces too much delay.

newmid2.jpg

newmid3.jpg

Here's my first Unity horn, it didn't work, the length of the ports and my selection of midranges was not correct.

If I'm not mistaken, the biggest and most informative thread about Unity horns was started here on diyaudio by someone who'd seen my thread about the above project over on audiogroupforum (which is basically d-e-a-d)

Mr. Bateman.
Some are using Pyle, and some are using Celestion fur mud ranges. What is your opinion on the Fane Sovereign 6-100? It's not too far from the Eminence alpha 6, which also is used by some... I'm aiming for a small/mid size pa system, supported by a 15" FLH.
BR Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.