Speaker Workshop - Compile new executable for Win7 and Mac.

You probably know that Speaker Workshop has been open source for a while. Speaker Workshop | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net .
There hasn't been much interest in modifying the source code, probably because there isn't much to fix or change. It works good.
But what I'd atleast like to see happen is the source be compiled into a more modern (Win7, Multi core) platform. And for a Mac platform as well.

Anyone here who knows and is willing to just recompile the source into an executable for a current platform and put it out there for download ?

Hi Ron,
Though I no longer use SW, I wrote the Unofficial Manual some years ago. At that time, I, nor anyone else I knew, could clearly get the Distortion measurements to work with clear, repeatable results. Out of curiosity, has anyone figured it out?

I tried to compile the code with VC++ 6 under windows and it didn't work. I didn't much try much.
I had the idea to make a port into WxWindows and make it really multiplatform. There are some improvements to do.
Perhaps if I have time and courage I will try again.

Note Speakerworkshop works in Unix platform with wine.

You probably know that Speaker Workshop has been open source for a while. Speaker Workshop | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net .
There hasn't been much interest in modifying the source code, probably because there isn't much to fix or change. It works good.
But what I'd atleast like to see happen is the source be compiled into a more modern (Win7, Multi core) platform. And for a Mac platform as well.

Anyone here who knows and is willing to just recompile the source into an executable for a current platform and put it out there for download ?

I tried to compile the code with VC++ 6 under windows and it didn't work. I didn't much try much.
I had the idea to make a port into WxWindows and make it really multiplatform. There are some improvements to do.
Perhaps if I have time and courage I will try again.

Note Speakerworkshop works in Unix platform with wine.

I have VC++5 and I looked at the contents of the sourceforge source code, and if I recall correctly it somehow seemed like there were some files missing?

Yes Ron E. I have had the same feeling but didn't investigate a lot.
I tried a brute force compilation and there were something wrong at the link stage but I don't remember what :eek:
I looked the file Audtest.vcproj. It seems to be a visual C++ 7.10 file.
Perhaps the building will work better with a .net compiler ?
I will try.

I have VC++5 and I looked at the contents of the sourceforge source code, and if I recall correctly it somehow seemed like there were some files missing?

Good news !

I built SpeakerWorkshop with visual C++ 8 pro :D
I had 3 errors, corrected by adding 2 "void" and a "int"
Perhaps with the good version visual C++ 7, no correction needs.

It opens a lot a lot of perspective if we want improve this old code.
I will try to find time to a deep look into the source code. :)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It would be good if it were maintained, but as it is so useful there's no sense in complaining.

While I've got the chance though...graphs could do with range sliders on the graph form, also some improved chart functionality, FRD processing tools, a fatal exception when importing FRD files exported by speaker workshop (may be the large default number of points), and a bunch of user interface tweaks and default value tweaks.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
...or maybe with EXO, ie. that multiple plots can be associated with a driver to produce polar plots.

...and target shaping, ie. tilting and hrtf without having to do it the hard way.

That's what it's all about. What could take minutes instead takes hours. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I remember about 20 years ago I spent three days with a hand calculator doing complex summations on a small handful of crossover options for my then 5" + 1" two way, now I could do that in under a minute, with greater progress.

It may or may not be helpful but...

I am no longer an active user of this software but I wanted to give anyone who might find it useful permission to use any of the spreadsheets or any information in the Unofficial Speaker Workshop Manual for any improvements that you might make in the software. Good luck.
Jay