synergy like horn, using CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Monacor sells a mid CD that goes from 160 to 6000 or so. I want to use this instead of the normal cone driver in a two way system, based on the same ideea as an unity horn.

Any way of predicting the results?

BDW
I think i will use multiple small dimension ports to avoid diffraction of the higher frequencies.

Monacor sells a mid CD that goes from 160 to 6000 or so. I want to use this instead of the normal cone driver in a two way system, based on the same ideea as an unity horn.

Any way of predicting the results?
BDW
I think i will use multiple small dimension ports to avoid diffraction of the higher frequencies.
I have not seen any graphs for the driver, but most thread on speech drivers claiming a response like you state are at least 10 dB down at the upper and lower point listed, and generally have pretty ragged response.
Placing the mid driver's exits away from the throat as in a unity style horn would reduce the LF and HF response further.
My prediction is best case you would get 400-4K within a usable frequency response envelope, and even that would probably require some heroic EQ.

Well, such a configuration would cause more problems because you are basically putting two compression chambers in front of a CD diaphragm (the CD's chamber and the one created between the slots and the exit of the CD. So, I guess this wouldn't go nowhere.

I have to admit though I thought about something like that too.. however I don't see it possible without major re-engineering the CD. If you can find a way to make the diaphragm radiate directly intro the slots of the unity, and modify the motor so that you have the right T/S, who knows.. Anyway it's too much a hassle.

Interesting project. One problem. A Synergy horn typically uses at least four mid drivers, and the cost of doing that with compression drivers does make it an expensive project. Your options are quite constrained by the nature of the beast. In a typical Synergy you juggle a couple of things:

1. Port offset from the throat, which determines the upper limit of the mids, generally 1/4 wavelength.
2. Port area and length
3. Front chamber volume

The upper limit of the mids depend on the diameter of the mids. 1.5k is probably about the maximum.

You probably have to leave out the front chamber, in which case there isn't really anything to simulate. You probably want to knock up a horn using the simplest quickest construction you can come up with and test just one mid with a compression driver at the apex. It's about 40+ hours to build a pair out of MDF and there's a good chance you will find it just doesn't work at all. You could try building a front chamber as well.

Don't think you could sim it in Hornresp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.