Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been spending a lot of time on this forum reading about different speaker kits and getting reviews from the respected opinions on this forum. During the search I found this kit which I cant find any information on. Since I have no where really to hear the different types of designs I have to rely on this forums opinion and build/try it my own.

Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit: Madisound Speaker Store

Eventually I would like two bi-amped towers with a 7.1 system. (I have a pioneer sc-57 that can do 9.1 or 7.1 bi-amped). My primary goal is to listen to music (60% classical, 40% everything else) but also have the ability to listen to watch a movie.

Would this be a good kit to buy to start out for now and later on move to the rears?
Is there a different kit that you would recommend? I dont worry about wood working skills at all, my only concern is choosing the right drivers and the crossover design. I was looking at the orion but I do not have that much space for an OB.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

If you want something that sounds like Orion but do not have the space......

From Linkwitz labs
Siegried Linkwitz said:
"When I compared PLUTO+ to ORION I was stunned by the sonic similarity between these very different speakers, when properly set up in my living room, even though one is a monopole over the 8 lower octaves and the other is a dipole over 7 of those octaves, out of a total of 10 octaves for the 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range. I felt almost embarrassed that so much less costly drivers could give such outstanding performance, when I had labored over testing and searching for the absolute best. There even was something about human voice that made me question the correctness of the ORION in comparison to PLUTO+. Attempts to change the equalization of ORION to make pink noise and voice sound more similar on the two speakers were complete failures. The only parameter that was left to investigate was the polar response. I had already concluded that it must have been the polar response that made PLUTO+ so similar to ORION in the first place. ORION is a dipole only to about 1.5 kHz. That is over an octave less in uniformity of polar response than PLUTO+ covers, and missing an important frequency range for voice. A rear mounted tweeter on ORION to extend the dipole range might fix that. Well, it did that and much more."

I can understand if you have been discouraged (WAF) from having something that looks like drainpipes but they sound superb. Quality drivers certainly help but I doubt Lumine one is even on the same page in terms of quality. I imagine they are very good though.

If you want something that sounds like Orion but do not have the space......

From Linkwitz labs
Siegried Linkwitz said:
"When I compared PLUTO+ to ORION I was stunned by the sonic similarity between these very different speakers, when properly set up in my living room, even though one is a monopole over the 8 lower octaves and the other is a dipole over 7 of those octaves, out of a total of 10 octaves for the 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range. I felt almost embarrassed that so much less costly drivers could give such outstanding performance, when I had labored over testing and searching for the absolute best. There even was something about human voice that made me question the correctness of the ORION in comparison to PLUTO+. Attempts to change the equalization of ORION to make pink noise and voice sound more similar on the two speakers were complete failures. The only parameter that was left to investigate was the polar response. I had already concluded that it must have been the polar response that made PLUTO+ so similar to ORION in the first place. ORION is a dipole only to about 1.5 kHz. That is over an octave less in uniformity of polar response than PLUTO+ covers, and missing an important frequency range for voice. A rear mounted tweeter on ORION to extend the dipole range might fix that. Well, it did that and much more."

I can understand if you have been discouraged (WAF) from having something that looks like drainpipes but they sound superb. Quality drivers certainly help but I doubt Lumine one is even on the same page in terms of quality. I imagine they are very good though.

I'm not so sure this is such a high bar :scratch: didn't the Behringer monitors recently best one of these speakers?

They look great, the price is getting up there; at some point you might as well go to a HyFy/Theater store(s) and see what you like. Point is, you'll have a few days to take-them-back, if necessary.

There are risks involved DIY/building your own, e.g. could poke a hole in a driver, OR you might not like them as much as you thought when finished.

One of my buddies uses 3 of these up front for his system, it's incredible. He also had a consultant, who recommend them.

Aerial Acoustics - Loudspeakers and Subwoofers

Ive been spending a lot of time on this forum reading about different speaker kits and getting reviews from the respected opinions on this forum. During the search I found this kit which I cant find any information on. Since I have no where really to hear the different types of designs I have to rely on this forums opinion and build/try it my own.

Eventually I would like two bi-amped towers with a 7.1 system. (I have a pioneer sc-57 that can do 9.1 or 7.1 bi-amped). My primary goal is to listen to music (60% classical, 40% everything else) but also have the ability to listen to watch a movie.

Would this be a good kit to buy to start out for now and later on move to the rears?
Is there a different kit that you would recommend? I dont worry about wood working skills at all, my only concern is choosing the right drivers and the crossover design. I was looking at the orion but I do not have that much space for an OB.

I really like that concept, but you would have to DIY the midrange(possibly you could do with one unit for the upper frequencies)

If I lived in the states and wanted a smaller speaker with that dipole/point source omni pluto open style presentation another option I would take a look at for Classical music reproduction would be these:
Untitled Document

I understand their quality control is not A1 though!

Those are not towers. They call for only 0.3 cu ft of net internal space. That's small.

With that kind of budget, you should be thinking of much larger drivers. You need to specify what size box you are willing to have for these "towers". May I ask why are you stuck on the tower shape anyway?

So, you need to specify a bunch of criteria here:
1) acceptable box size
2) maximum SPL desired
3) desired frequency range
4) width of listening "sweet spot"
5) probably other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

Those are not towers. They call for only 0.3 cu ft of net internal space. That's small.

With that kind of budget, you should be thinking of much larger drivers. You need to specify what size box you are willing to have for these "towers". May I ask why are you stuck on the tower shape anyway?

So, you need to specify a bunch of criteria here:
1) acceptable box size
2) maximum SPL desired
3) desired frequency range
4) width of listening "sweet spot"
5) probably other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I would use these for fronts for now and then later move them on to the rears once i learn more and can design towers.

1. I dont really have a max size. I dont think I would want anymore then 5 cuft per box (seems really big to me)
2. I dont really listen to music loud anymore. I would think maximum would be 120db.
3. I have sub already so 100 - 20k
4. Room is 10ft wide.

Last edited:
I would use these for fronts for now and then later move them on to the rears once i learn more and can design towers.

1. I dont really have a max size. I dont think I would want anymore then 5 cuft per box (seems really big to me)
2. I dont really listen to music loud anymore. I would think maximum would be 120db.
3. I have sub already so 100 - 20k
4. Room is 10ft wide.

Pardon me, but Holy Sh!t!!! 120dB!!! :eek:

You're looking in the wrong place... you need professional drivers and horns to get there with low distortion.... There are plenty of 15" woofers and horn midrange/tweeters that could fulfill your requirements.

Room is only 10feet wide? What's the depth?

One problem I see is that for dual use (i.e. home theater and classical music), the speaker directivity requirements are usually different. Most people recommend more narrow directivity for home theater but many people prefer wider directivity for music.

Last edited:
Pardon me, but Holy Sh!t!!! 120dB!!! :eek:

You're looking in the wrong place... you need professional drivers and horns to get there with low distortion.... There are plenty of 15" woofers and horn midrange/tweeters that could fulfill your requirements.

Im more concerned with accurate reproduction of sound then I am SPL. Is 100 db reasonable? (sorry my car audio background I hit 160s in db drag, I figured 120 in a room is possible) Again Im not concerned with SPL.
Depth is 11 ft

Im more concerned with accurate reproduction of sound then I am SPL. Is 100 db reasonable? (sorry my car audio background I hit 160s in db drag, I figured 120 in a room is possible) Again Im not concerned with SPL.
Depth is 11 ft

That's a fairly small room. Do you have any speaker design software? If not, you should make sure to ask who ever makes the kit that their design will reach 100dB. In general, if you have loudspeakers that are only 83dB sensitive, you'd need a lot of power and woofer Xmax to reach 100dB.

Attachments

• cooler_decibel_chart.jpg
    cooler_decibel_chart.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 279
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.