Are you (open) baffled yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In a 3way OB setup, is it necessary to isolate the bass driver? If so, how deep should the separating board go?

I ask this because I had a few different drivers on a test baffle to get a feel for their bass response. I connected 1 at a time, but realized that during the test the unconnected driver cones vibrated quite alot. I had to put boards over them because they changed the response. That made me think what kind pressures are put on the midranges while everything is in use and maybe go unnoticed.

The X-baffle (OB) spreadsheet

I was running some numbers through the spreadsheet, and am hoping somebody could clarify a momentary point of confusion:

Are the distances from the 1) floor 2) back wall 3) and side wall measured from the driver's center or from the edges of the baffle itself? It's not clear in the spreadsheet's wording, especially since one has to specify the baffle dimensions prior to inputting these distance parameters.

One might presume it's from the edges of baffle, but then what if one added wings (as the OP did), or angled the baffle surface up or down? Also, if one were to hang a long OB hanging equidistantly (or not) from the ceiling and the floor, is it possible to account for the effects of the second surface (either ceiling or floor, since we specify only one distance in the spreadsheet)?

I'm dense, and sorta baffled.

Thanks in advance.

Folks,

Got any measurement curves yet?

That was a question in around 2003 at the beginning of this meta thread directed at this speaker:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/19883-you-open-baffled-yet.html#post234860

Doing some ego browsing I noticed a review in a really odd corner of the web (Anandtech) by Rajinder Gill that included measurements of both the naked Baffles and of a system with a subwoofer.

The whole article is here and makes very interesting reading;

AnandTech.com - Audiophile Journeys with a PC

Included are the in-room responses of the open baffles (fitted C37 lacquered Supravox Bicone Signature Drivers) on their own, showing the naked in room response in that specific room:

TDA1543.jpg

Please note that this response is not smoothed a lot and taken at a single point and includes the extra HF rolloff from a non-oversampling DDDAC with TDA1543 AND a Welborne Labs Yota 300B Amplifier.

For comparison here the responses of two expensive commercial speakers in one particular writers room with a fair bit of smoothing and spatial averaging (this was the first graph I found on SP's site, no specific criticism etc of the two speakers intended, just a comparison datapoint)...

710Wilfig7.jpg

So anyway, now there are some measurements, thou maketh of them what what thy may.

Ciao T

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.