"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I few days ago me and a friend tested his amplifier, a Coda Ts power amp with 400W/8ohm, 800W/4ohm. It was a rather chocking experience, the control it took was total, the woofer held in a steel grip. The sound was extremely clean and transparent, I did not think this was possible with my T2W speakers. The only thing I did not like was the bass, it was too lean, I missed some fullness. Maybe possible to tweak a little or possibly it should be like that to be neutral and honest, I am not sure. But over all, especially classical music sounded marvelous.

Hello! Been a long time since this speaker was made. After some trying of different amplifiers with my tired2way I found out that I wanted to upgrade them to something new and then later upgrade the amplifier to match the new speakers. And I found a very nice speaker with a reasonable price which now is "breaking in" here. They are from The United Kingdom, Spendor in fact. I have not been so interested in this manufacturer before but the model I got I really liked. What can it be? :).

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello! Been a long time since this speaker was made. After some trying of different amplifiers with my tired2way I found out that I wanted to upgrade them to something new and then later upgrade the amplifier to match the new speakers. And I found a very nice speaker with a reasonable price which now is "breaking in" here. They are from The United Kingdom, Spendor in fact. I have not been so interested in this manufacturer before but the model I got I really liked. What can it be? :).
What model os Spendor ?

I few days ago me and a friend tested his amplifier, a Coda Ts power amp with 400W/8ohm, 800W/4ohm. It was a rather chocking experience, the control it took was total, the woofer held in a steel grip. The sound was extremely clean and transparent, I did not think this was possible with my T2W speakers. The only thing I did not like was the bass, it was too lean, I missed some fullness. Maybe possible to tweak a little or possibly it should be like that to be neutral and honest, I am not sure. But over all, especially classical music sounded marvelous.

Please do me a favor, tell me what the bass sounds like if you put the speakers on the floor.

Perhaps I should explain why after you do the test, so as not to bias your listening...

Yes, I need to get used to the "new sound" and then maybe if needed a slight change. I have more respect for that woofer now, it is better playing bass than I thought possible :). Also the middle range is better and clearer. I remember earlier when I tried how much damping to use and I was not very good evaluating the sound. But some time ago I noticed that when watching movies listening to dialouge, it had a kind of ghost voice sound (a bit hollow or echo) and I thought it should be like that (that it was resolution/detail). But after adding some more damping and (bracing) it disappeared, and I hope it is correct. When listening to pure music it was harder to detect this, making me unsure if more damping was needed.

In the movie Black Hawk Down, at the end, when the main character gives a little speech in an aircraft hangar - I like to use that as one of my test tracks for speakers. Another track I like to use is the beginning of Fleetwood Mac's Never Going Back again to see how the high pitched strings sound (but of course that's more to do with the tweeters than your midbass issue).

Last edited:
I got a fair price, about $5000, and in that price range it was a good combination of sound, efficiency, size and looks that I liked. It sound bigger than it looks, it is not a huge difference compared to T2W but enough for me. I will write more what differs when they are fully "burned in". In my room they seem to work very good, not feeling to over power the room with energy which can be the case with big loudspeakers. I went for quality rather than size and I hope I will be pleased.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Having two 6.5 inchers as dedicated LLF & LFM of optimized tech it should have better integration in the mids, less beaming i.e. more 3D, more LF combined cone area also, thus less strain when played louder. Nonetheless when compared to a single 8 inch of 2-3dB less efficiency. Given the pedigree of the brand surely its a good speaker in its market niche. With that sum I can not stop thinking of what is possible in DIY with DSP and four way open baffle or three way horns though.:)

For sure Salas, but the size of that would be rather big, good from a sound perspective but not so good for looks and living in my room :D. T2W has been so much fun and it is hard to let them go, maybe I can sell them to a friend so I can visit them when I want :). The "new kid" is a little faster, more detailed sounding. It gives a neutral impression with a little better dynamics. Efficiency is clearly better, this makes it possible to use for example a 30 W class A amp or similar. The bass is not sounding to my satisfaction yet, it was the same with T2W when new. They will soon be like the demo pair I listened to about one year ago. From the start my budget was bigger but since after some serious trying I found out I need a new amp too, and now that will be the final piece to be complete, so it will be easy to compare different amps and find the end result I like the best.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yep T2W was a good value DIY project after all. Lighter smaller cone for the mids, more sensitivity, narrower baffle now. All those are benefits indeed. Is the room positioning alike by the way? Maybe there is a persistent specific LF frequency room cancellation still common between the two different speakers?

Yep T2W was a good value DIY project after all. Lighter smaller cone for the mids, more sensitivity, narrower baffle now. All those are benefits indeed. Is the room positioning alike by the way? Maybe there is a persistent specific LF frequency room cancellation still common between the two different speakers?
They are in almost the same place as T2W was, a little closer to the wall and closer to eachother, but since they need running in I have not been so specific with placement, I do not use any spikes or other feet yet, I will try that out when they are ready for it. From what I hear now I think it will work just fine.

I am now testing a Pass Labs XA30.8 amplifier with D7. Sound is not at all good right now :rolleyes::eek::D. The amp stinks of some kind of electronic smell and the speakers are probably not "ripe". I hear qualities but the bass is not working yet. I hope to be able to borrow the Pass as long as possible and let it "burn in".

critofur: I tried the speakers directly on the floor before I made the stands, it was not good since the tweeter was too low when listening sitting in a chair. Not recommended...

Yes, but, I'm only asking about the bass/lower midrange, specifically - how did that part of the sound compare...

Also, the sound of different amps should be basically insignificant, relative to the differences between different speakers.

The bass got a little heavier when without stands, midrange not that much different.
Regarding amps, it is a big difference between the pass and my amp, very easy to hear actually. But also my new speakers are clearly more detailed and fast compared to T2W.
The XA30.8 got better the more I played it, but bass control was not optimal with D7. I think it wants more power to get that bass control I want.

I finally decided to get a XA30.8, it works quite good with D7. But just for fun I adjusted my tired2way speakers a little (I removed some of the wood material inside to get a bigger volume) for better bass balance. I then connected it to my pass labs amp and it sounds very good, much better now than earlier, in fact so good I wonder if the D7 will stay :D. To be honest I have also changed the speaker cables to the much better Chord Sarum and that also is part of the change. D7 plays more exact but not as relaxed as T2W, and I get more "slam" in the bass with T2W, I think that D7 may need more power than XA30.8 gives to get the same amount of "slam" but I really like the XA30.8. I will now live with the T2W in the system for some time and then change back to D7 again. What will the final verdict be I wonder...:).

Hello Salas :).
Yes they have a few surprises built in it seems :D.
Maybe I should have taken your advice to build bigger speakers myself.
I will try some to me well known recordings and evaluate some things.
My biggest concern is the "beaming" from the woofer, I know it can be heard with some recorings, but maybe it is not very annoying now with better equipment, I remember listening to the ABBA singer "Agneta" it was easy to hear that "beaming", I will try it tonight. What is impressive to me is how good the T2W answers to better equipment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.