"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Salas, I listen to all kinds of music, classical, rock, pop, jazz. I am a pianist so I often use piano music as a reference. I think the bass sounds a bit scaled down and dry compared with what I am used to, I guess I want a little more "flesh". It is mostly when listening to pop/rock and not so much listening to classical music. I will post a picture tonight from the inside of the speaker.
This is the coil I use for the bass:JANTZEN-2005 - Jantzen Wire non-ferrite cored coil 2,500mH 0,268Ohm 1,20mm - Europe Audio
It doesn´t look like that in reality, it is the high coil I use (ealier picture).
The RDC is a little lower than a 2mm air coil from what I know but it should be a very small difference.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Starre, I also play piano. I think it is a very important and satisfying instrument to get a loudspeaker to reproduce faithfully.I think you will find that most of this happens above 100Hz and not below. It is therefore susceptible to problems of midrange balance, and room placement. The 'weight' is around the 150-300Hz region.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm. There was a 2mm air coil we used. Anyway, I think that ultimately you will need to choose a precise coil value for your ears, room, and system by listening. If there is a way they make you a multi tap coil with 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 3mH taps you will be a happy man.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Starre, I also play piano. I think it is a very important and satisfying instrument to get a loudspeaker to reproduce faithfully.I think you will find that most of this happens above 100Hz and not below. It is therefore susceptible to problems of midrange balance, and room placement. The 'weight' is around the 150-300Hz region.

That may mean closer to wall to get luck before tampering with the diffraction step coil.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In a bass reflex too much. A simple test is you push back the woofer with one hand first, and you press with your other palm the port's mouth sealed the best you can. If you leave now the woofer alone, it should remain sucked in if there are no leaks.

Yes, do not forget I have no experience building speakers so maybe I have overlooked something, and maybe even that coil of mine is not very good. (I will also see if it is possible to glue the baffle soon allowing me to put the filter inside through the woofer hole later, I do think it would be nice to have it inside the speaker which is more practical).

I have done as said, and (!) I hear a clear improvement! It seems the problem was a leaking cabinet. I have just started to listen but I am pretty sure it is ok now. Posting pictures.....

Attachments

• speaker16.jpg
    speaker16.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 642
  • speaker17.jpg
    speaker17.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 631
  • speaker18.jpg
    speaker18.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 621
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.