"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well Salas, while not exactly pretty :D, it was the best way I could think of. As you say it is just pressed on the top plate (the clay sticks quite ok on the paint). Since I made the cabinet with no experience of how to put things together the most effective way, I got some problems I needed to correct afterwards. I think the box on top works so well that I can live with it.
Just stick a mini Mykonos windmill on the white brick and it will look alright.:D

I measured it once with a simple phone app, normal listening level is something like 90-95dB. Distance to speakers around 2,5 meters.
Yes I am happy with it, and surprised how easy it has been to hear my upgrades including cables (yes even that, bye quite a large margin too, no placebo, I promise ;)).

Last edited:
Just found this thread and read probably 60 pages today. Very good example of how much work is involved in doing a speaker even after it's designed and tested. So many builders stop before they are even started, but life has its challenges and we all do what we can. Very impressed with the effort & dedication, Starre. Surely as good of a first effort as I've ever seen. Relentless and honest--wonderful.

Those who have experienced the extended developments and chasing of tiny nuances know you report much truth (and can Hear!). With some 92k views to this thread, it's likely that there are many very experienced builders remaining silent who would agree.

Most impressive is your honesty and openness to improvement. Tile...clay box on top...these simply make me smile and tip my hat. I am glad that you have worked hard enough and long-enough to receive the rewards.

Starre, you may not view it as such, but you have earned important tenets of your box-building philosophy (we all have them and they are forever-moving but settle very far very fast after such efforts)

:)

Thanks for the kind words, it has been one of my most enjoyable journeys and it seems people here have enjoyed it too. And Salas has been very kind and helpful. The only thing missing is me to become a paying member which I should be :eek:.
I have 2 more things to try before I have understood these speakers sound, try another power amp and speaker cables which a friend of mine owns. My recent upgrade of pre-amp and signal cables between pre- and poweramp has improved my knowledge of them and also a few "weaknesses" although they are probably a consequence of the drivers and such and of no big concern. All speakers have their own character with strengths and minor weaknesses.

Today I tried a different new laptop which is faster (from a celeron to i5) and the sound changed, at first I was not sure but it crept on me more and more. This computer also has a SSD like the other one but this uses less power (an incredible low consumption, probably the lowest you can find on the market made by Toshiba). It sounds cleaner and more detailed, you can hear low level info I have never heard before, quite cool :D. But some recordings now sounds a little clinical compared with before, maybe the more revealing character of this laptop also shows how good/bad the recording is, but I am not sure yet, it could be a more clinical sounding computer and if so, that is not what I want. But I have to optimize this laptop I guess so it is only the beginning.
Happy Hew Year! :cheers:

I am now certain it is better with my new laptop. But some things have been revealed and I want to try what is going on since I have to evaluate my power amp, speaker cables and even speakers to be sure what I am hearing. It will be fun finding the weakest link...it can´t be the tired2way, right? :D.

I am now certain that I need new speakers when possible. Tired2way is very good but I will update them with something even better. I will start looking and listening soon but let it take all the time needed since I must not only find the right ones but afford it too. Until then I have the Tired2way to enjoy and as a reference. I am curious about Tannoy, "Kensington" seems interesting but pricey so maybe a used pair could be something to look for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.