"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
* Measurements in situ, simulation, subjective evaluation and values tweaking in situ over a period. That was the drill.

P.S. I guided it for drivers and crossover design, but Mikvous made it and we tweaked in evaluation agreement.

I was wondering about that huge 2.5mH coil with a straight 12.2uF capacitor. With a 1.55mH Le CA22RNY driver, that looks very peaky in the midrange to me. Also the big coil would strangle the life out of the bass unit.

I just couldn't get it to work on phase either. I could be wrong, in which case I've learned something, but bass units like that do 24dB/octave rolloff without much filtering at all.

I managed to get something modelling very well with a 2.8kHz crossover and 3rd order negative polarity tweeter.

I think the bass shunt was about a mere 4uF and 4R with a 2.5mH. Not sure.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its based on real in room curves on the actual cabinets so it proved necessary for some reason not apparent from the datasheet. Maybe BSC. Both by measuring and listening. Interestingly those speakers are still in use after enough years and several others paraded in my friend's place. He even had a large stacked sections four way prestige KEF with 15 inch woofers in beautiful mahogany finish which in his room was too much and not that communicative maybe due to short listening distance. It took large 300W & 500W amps that speaker to control it well.

8" plus tweeter is my favourite combination. I'm currently trying smaller and smaller bafflestep coils, because they just sound more lively and are more efficient.

Troels TQWT has been an inspiration:

TQWT-

His JA8008 driver bears a spooky resemblance to the CA22RNY. Just a different cone, I think.

Of course we aren't going to be using waveguides, so have to be creative. Dissi dug up this Kef Celeste 3 schematic which does phase well. In practise you need some resistance in the bass shunt arm with high inductance woofers.

Attachments

• Kef_Celeste3.JPG
    Kef_Celeste3.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
A friend took his new pre amp with him (MFA Baby Reference) and I was surprised how much it did, a big step up in sound quality. For the first time I heard what my dac really can do and also how good the speakers and my amp sounds, I am pleased with the balance I got with just the right amount bass in my room. Hard work that pays off. I have realized how important the pre amp is, so much is lost in some of them and it is not easy to get it just right.

A friend took his new pre amp with him (MFA Baby Reference) and I was surprised how much it did, a big step up in sound quality. For the first time I heard what my dac really can do and also how good the speakers and my amp sounds, I am pleased with the balance I got with just the right amount bass in my room. Hard work that pays off. I have realized how important the pre amp is, so much is lost in some of them and it is not easy to get it just right.

recently i borrowed a current Manley 300B RC Preamp, it offers so much transparency and... a beautiful presentation of the sound (i dont know the words for it) over my SS preamp

my amp is NC400 and AudioGD Master7 with my diy speakers SB satori, RAAL 70-10 and 3012LF.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Those diy speakers don't want to leave you. Each time you have thoughts of bigger newer more ways etc. something happens in the electronics front.:D

Yes it is very pleasing to find out what they can do, they always grow when I change something for the better. Your and Mikvous design and my work to get it like I want to in my room is a quite impressive listen. Next is a new pre amp for sure since it made such a difference, when will the Tired2way reach its limits I wonder, hehe.

I added this to get rid of some vibrations, it is a box made of a thin aluminum plate and filled with clay, works very well. I think I have reach the limits of the "tired2way", maybe a better power amp can show even more but who knows. It sounds great with the new pre-amp and the amazing Vertere Pulse R cables.

Attachments

• speaker58.jpg
    speaker58.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 227
Well Salas, while not exactly pretty :D, it was the best way I could think of. As you say it is just pressed on the top plate (the clay sticks quite ok on the paint). Since I made the cabinet with no experience of how to put things together the most effective way, I got some problems I needed to correct afterwards. I think the box on top works so well that I can live with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.