"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its like a scales. If you will make mid-bass more prominent, the mid is going to withdraw proportionally. I preferred the 2.5mH personally. I use 3.5dB baffle step correction in a stereo pair, the most. Some friends prefer more, I find it heavy in power response. If trying, I would do it with a bigger coil, either tapped down to 2.5mH, or unwinding and measuring mH until happy. Not by a fixed guess. Coil's DCR changes the final impression too. When your box is gonna be fully braced and glued, bass can be a tad more robust than now its more likely. And there is the room positioning and stands coupling/rigidity that ain't final yet I guess.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Treated paper cones are great all rounders, but if it was a 3 way, hard synthetic or metal bass cones could be used and they would present more ''kick'' down low due to their rigidity, but they usually ring in the background if used for wider spectrum.

Yes Salas, I will try to optimize as far as possible :). I also think that when coming from one speaker to another, you have to remember that both have their fortes and none is perfect, it is always some compromizes involved. But since they sound so good you get picky and want it to be as good as it can be.

Salas, since you use 3.5dB BSC it is probably a good idea to have the speakers closer to back wall than with 6dB. How close is it possible, I think of the 1st reflex from the back wall, I have read that you should have about 1,7 m difference in sound path comparing direct and 1st reflex to avoid any smearing (from a side wall for example). Is it less sensitive when it comes to the back wall since most of the sound is going forward (middle- and treble range)?

Been a little lazy lately due to many small problems. I am about to fix the stands making them a little lower and see how it affects sound, then when happy with the sound I will remove the drivers and fix the inside with fastening the damping material and fitting the front-to-back bracings. I have this idea of putting the lower one close to the woofer but with the shorter side (thinkness) facing upwards for good air flow and possibly best stability. Also I will round the edges to improve air flow. Best is probably a crossbrace made from one piece but that was not what I choose since I needed something simpler to fit. I bought a cheap fleece/polyester blanket that may function as a first layer of damping on the sides/top/bottom/back and then use what I now have inside over it where needed. The sides near the woofer seem to be fine with a thinner layer than elsewhere.
I have already soldered the cables from woofer/tweeter and that makes it a little tricky when installing the crossover, because when I remove the drivers to allow painting the cabinet and so on, I will be hard to solder them to the crossover board when installing them again (cabinet now "closed"). I could need some help how to do this the smartest way. I will put the crossover on the bottom panel since it is rather big.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
;)

Attachments

• Terminal-Strip.JPG
    Terminal-Strip.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 385
Hi,

one Finnish commercial speaker came to my mind of this Tired2way. It was like this, 2way with Dynaudio drivers, simple XO and enclosure tall for 2way.:)

---

Can you describe speaker how it can draw you into music? Not in hi-fi terms but do you enjoy listening music with it? Is it fun to listen or little bit of "hifi"? Which one of your speakers draws you more for listening your records?
I think it is easy to make mistake if you listen just parts of sound, some piece frequency response. You must listen music and evaluate drivers coherence and their phase if something in hifi terms. Playing of drummer, is it clear and easy to listen or incoherent and muddy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.