"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok now I have tried to listen to the port, and I think it worked rather good after getting used to listen to it. I found some interesting things! First, I have sound from 18Hz which I think is rather remarkable, maybe it is not but to me it was :).
Starting at 18Hz it was of course very weak (a 1- on "my" scale) but easy to hear with the ear at the port. Moving upwards to 30Hz, it was quite even and increasing all the way, and suddenly at around 30Hz I heard some sound from the woofer itself, not only the port (it was no sound from the woofers front below 30Hz). Now we are talking 2 on my scale. From 30Hz reaching 39Hz the level is now 3 at 39Hz. Going upwards it increase to 3+ starting at 42Hz to 48Hz. The contribution from the membrane has also increased and is easier to hear than before. 48-57Hz is a little weaker, a 3 on my scale but since the membrane is more active now the total sound is a 4 or even 4+ (around 50Hz).
Ok hope you are still with me on this little trip :).
From 57 all the way to 71 the bass port is increasing rather much to its maximum at 71Hz. Over 71Hz it gets weaker with values 3 and 3+ (up and down and so on) to about 100Hz.
What I do not like is the big maximum at 71Hz, it was loud both from the membrane and port :(. Otherwise it seems fine :).
Now the question is, is it possible to get rid of that peak?

I have now tried to move the speakers +-10cm from back wall and it was a rather small change with respect to the 71Hz tube peak (more that it move a few Hz up or down). I also tried to extend the reflex tube to 150mm (from 135mm) but I heard lower output in the 30Hz band which was not better, so I guess going this direction might be a bad idea (I will not try even longer tube since I had this result, and since you Salas set it to 135mm, correct decision?).
I heard from listening position that the 71Hz peak from the tube is not so peaky at the actual listening positions total sound, so that was a comfort. I also heard that with a 150mm port I got a dip at 72Hz from the tube. Comments on all this, Salas?

Hmm, so it is bigger than mine which is 28m2 but with a open wall to my kitchen to the right of my stereo making it a little bigger in total. Well maybe that is not the most important thing.
If I am smart I should probably start now with listening with different amout of filling behind the woofer. If I use 135mm when doing this, then later when I am satisfied with that I should fine tune the lenght, right?
I am afriad that testing with different amount will change the bass output so that should be in place first.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The filling can damp mids, and can obstruct reflex circulation losing port bass amplitude, but not damp bass modes. If we could damp bass with just some wool filling then we wouldn't have those sci-fi anechoic rooms with children sized wedges in the KEF brochures from the 70's.:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A small apparent volume difference they do make, but the damping materials are there to damp the echoes inside the box mainly. If you use them as masses near diaphragms and ducts when moving relatively freely they can load the total Helmholtz thing and deprive enough wide Q output. Too much expense in energy. Better tune than control. Passive control is always involving energy loss. But do what you wanna do and find out how those things work for yourself. Its fun, nothing electrical to short. Ain't an amp, and you may find your best compromise.

Thanks for the link AllenB. I removed the polyester filling behind the woofer and it sound more open and present in the middle range. I had too much here according to Salas build and now I have even less since the sides are bare, so I will try with some filling there later. I wanted to remove all so I could hear easily what happens.
I am also trying now with 140mm tube lenght.

I have settled for a 135mm port after testing 130-140mm. Small difference but anyway. I also put some filling onto the sides behind the woofer and it seems fine. Is it a bad idea to have bare surfaces on the sides near the woofer?
I will give them 50 more hours to settle in before I am ready to glue the baffle in place. Got a feeling it need that, the bass is a tad lean sometimes playing music. But I am rather sure that the 2.5mH coil is enough, more playing will tell. How does the sound vary in quality from a non-ferrite coil vs an air coil used for the woofer, same spec. otherwise?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.