Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

"Tired2way" speaker building.
"Tired2way" speaker building.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2015, 01:43 PM   #1131
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Yep T2W was a good value DIY project after all. Lighter smaller cone for the mids, more sensitivity, narrower baffle now. All those are benefits indeed. Is the room positioning alike by the way? Maybe there is a persistent specific LF frequency room cancellation still common between the two different speakers?
They are in almost the same place as T2W was, a little closer to the wall and closer to eachother, but since they need running in I have not been so specific with placement, I do not use any spikes or other feet yet, I will try that out when they are ready for it. From what I hear now I think it will work just fine.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:09 PM   #1132
diyAudio Member

I am now testing a Pass Labs XA30.8 amplifier with D7. Sound is not at all good right now . The amp stinks of some kind of electronic smell and the speakers are probably not "ripe". I hear qualities but the bass is not working yet. I hope to be able to borrow the Pass as long as possible and let it "burn in".
Old 12th January 2016, 10:14 PM   #1133
critofur is offline critofur  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
critofur: I tried the speakers directly on the floor before I made the stands, it was not good since the tweeter was too low when listening sitting in a chair. Not recommended...
Yes, but, I'm only asking about the bass/lower midrange, specifically - how did that part of the sound compare...

Also, the sound of different amps should be basically insignificant, relative to the differences between different speakers.
Old 13th January 2016, 07:54 AM   #1134
diyAudio Member

The bass got a little heavier when without stands, midrange not that much different.
Regarding amps, it is a big difference between the pass and my amp, very easy to hear actually. But also my new speakers are clearly more detailed and fast compared to T2W.
The XA30.8 got better the more I played it, but bass control was not optimal with D7. I think it wants more power to get that bass control I want.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:04 AM   #1135
diyAudio Member

I finally decided to get a XA30.8, it works quite good with D7. But just for fun I adjusted my tired2way speakers a little (I removed some of the wood material inside to get a bigger volume) for better bass balance. I then connected it to my pass labs amp and it sounds very good, much better now than earlier, in fact so good I wonder if the D7 will stay . To be honest I have also changed the speaker cables to the much better Chord Sarum and that also is part of the change. D7 plays more exact but not as relaxed as T2W, and I get more "slam" in the bass with T2W, I think that D7 may need more power than XA30.8 gives to get the same amount of "slam" but I really like the XA30.8. I will now live with the T2W in the system for some time and then change back to D7 again. What will the final verdict be I wonder....
Old 24th April 2017, 02:25 PM   #1136
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

&quot;Tired2way&quot; speaker building.
T2W refuses to tire out completely
Old 24th April 2017, 02:35 PM   #1137
diyAudio Member

Hello Salas .
Yes they have a few surprises built in it seems .
Maybe I should have taken your advice to build bigger speakers myself.
I will try some to me well known recordings and evaluate some things.
My biggest concern is the "beaming" from the woofer, I know it can be heard with some recorings, but maybe it is not very annoying now with better equipment, I remember listening to the ABBA singer "Agneta" it was easy to hear that "beaming", I will try it tonight. What is impressive to me is how good the T2W answers to better equipment.
Old 24th April 2017, 07:46 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

What I heard as beaming was probably my old amp struggling with voices, with the pass it is not a problem anymore. I listened to the album "Super Trouper" and it works very good with the female singers.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:35 PM   #1139
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

&quot;Tired2way&quot; speaker building.
Cool
Old 28th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #1140
diyAudio Member

This looks interesting, what do you say Salas?
Heco Direkt Dreiklang | Deutsch | Heco
Nice bass driver size

&quot;Tired2way&quot; speaker building.Hide this!Advertise here!