Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

"Tired2way" speaker building.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2015, 09:52 PM   #1121
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I few days ago me and a friend tested his amplifier, a Coda Ts power amp with 400W/8ohm, 800W/4ohm. It was a rather chocking experience, the control it took was total, the woofer held in a steel grip. The sound was extremely clean and transparent, I did not think this was possible with my T2W speakers. The only thing I did not like was the bass, it was too lean, I missed some fullness. Maybe possible to tweak a little or possibly it should be like that to be neutral and honest, I am not sure. But over all, especially classical music sounded marvelous.
Old 26th December 2015, 10:53 AM   #1122
diyAudio Member

Hello! Been a long time since this speaker was made. After some trying of different amplifiers with my tired2way I found out that I wanted to upgrade them to something new and then later upgrade the amplifier to match the new speakers. And I found a very nice speaker with a reasonable price which now is "breaking in" here. They are from The United Kingdom, Spendor in fact. I have not been so interested in this manufacturer before but the model I got I really liked. What can it be? .
Old 27th December 2015, 12:49 PM   #1123
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
Hello! Been a long time since this speaker was made. After some trying of different amplifiers with my tired2way I found out that I wanted to upgrade them to something new and then later upgrade the amplifier to match the new speakers. And I found a very nice speaker with a reasonable price which now is "breaking in" here. They are from The United Kingdom, Spendor in fact. I have not been so interested in this manufacturer before but the model I got I really liked. What can it be? .
What model os Spendor ?
Old 27th December 2015, 03:53 PM   #1124
critofur is offline critofur  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
I few days ago me and a friend tested his amplifier, a Coda Ts power amp with 400W/8ohm, 800W/4ohm. It was a rather chocking experience, the control it took was total, the woofer held in a steel grip. The sound was extremely clean and transparent, I did not think this was possible with my T2W speakers. The only thing I did not like was the bass, it was too lean, I missed some fullness. Maybe possible to tweak a little or possibly it should be like that to be neutral and honest, I am not sure. But over all, especially classical music sounded marvelous.
Please do me a favor, tell me what the bass sounds like if you put the speakers on the floor.

Perhaps I should explain why after you do the test, so as not to bias your listening...

Quote:
Yes, I need to get used to the "new sound" and then maybe if needed a slight change. I have more respect for that woofer now, it is better playing bass than I thought possible . Also the middle range is better and clearer. I remember earlier when I tried how much damping to use and I was not very good evaluating the sound. But some time ago I noticed that when watching movies listening to dialouge, it had a kind of ghost voice sound (a bit hollow or echo) and I thought it should be like that (that it was resolution/detail). But after adding some more damping and (bracing) it disappeared, and I hope it is correct. When listening to pure music it was harder to detect this, making me unsure if more damping was needed.
In the movie Black Hawk Down, at the end, when the main character gives a little speech in an aircraft hangar - I like to use that as one of my test tracks for speakers. Another track I like to use is the beginning of Fleetwood Mac's Never Going Back again to see how the high pitched strings sound (but of course that's more to do with the tweeters than your midbass issue).

Last edited by critofur; 27th December 2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 27th December 2015, 06:45 PM   #1125
diyAudio Member

critofur: I tried the speakers directly on the floor before I made the stands, it was not good since the tweeter was too low when listening sitting in a chair. Not recommended.
I do not own that movie Black Hawk Down so I cannot comment on that one.
RCruz: The model of Spendor is D7.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:26 PM   #1126
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

&quot;Tired2way&quot; speaker building.
Nice slim neutral speaker but at $6000 maybe there was some bigger genuine three way option that you could also fancy? Or the footprint had to remain unobtrusive?
Old 27th December 2015, 11:39 PM   #1127
diyAudio Member

I got a fair price, about $5000, and in that price range it was a good combination of sound, efficiency, size and looks that I liked. It sound bigger than it looks, it is not a huge difference compared to T2W but enough for me. I will write more what differs when they are fully "burned in". In my room they seem to work very good, not feeling to over power the room with energy which can be the case with big loudspeakers. I went for quality rather than size and I hope I will be pleased.
Old 28th December 2015, 11:37 AM   #1128
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Having two 6.5 inchers as dedicated LLF & LFM of optimized tech it should have better integration in the mids, less beaming i.e. more 3D, more LF combined cone area also, thus less strain when played louder. Nonetheless when compared to a single 8 inch of 2-3dB less efficiency. Given the pedigree of the brand surely its a good speaker in its market niche. With that sum I can not stop thinking of what is possible in DIY with DSP and four way open baffle or three way horns though.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:40 PM   #1129
diyAudio Member

For sure Salas, but the size of that would be rather big, good from a sound perspective but not so good for looks and living in my room . T2W has been so much fun and it is hard to let them go, maybe I can sell them to a friend so I can visit them when I want . The "new kid" is a little faster, more detailed sounding. It gives a neutral impression with a little better dynamics. Efficiency is clearly better, this makes it possible to use for example a 30 W class A amp or similar. The bass is not sounding to my satisfaction yet, it was the same with T2W when new. They will soon be like the demo pair I listened to about one year ago. From the start my budget was bigger but since after some serious trying I found out I need a new amp too, and now that will be the final piece to be complete, so it will be easy to compare different amps and find the end result I like the best.

Last edited by Starre; 28th December 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:50 PM   #1130
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yep T2W was a good value DIY project after all. Lighter smaller cone for the mids, more sensitivity, narrower baffle now. All those are benefits indeed. Is the room positioning alike by the way? Maybe there is a persistent specific LF frequency room cancellation still common between the two different speakers?

&quot;Tired2way&quot; speaker building.Hide this!Advertise here!