Moving from passive to active

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a pair of 3-way speakers some years back which I've been very happy with with the exception of the woofer which seems to be lower in spl than the other drivers, my best solution is to get a DCX2496 digital xover and another amp to drive the woofer independently while giving it a higher gain in the xover however I don't know what to eliminate from the mid and woofer parts of the passive xover.
I have included the LEAP schematic + graphs.
I just want to know whats not needed in the passive xover and if needed apart from cutoff points which i know what else to program in the DCX

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 142
  • freq resp..jpg
    freq resp..jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 137
  • freq resp. seperated.jpg
    freq resp. seperated.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 135
  • impedence.jpg
    impedence.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I dont think you need to change anything on the crossover, just bypass it when connecting the woofer to the amp > DSP. Once connected measure and tweak to ensure you are getting the same crossover point.

I would also recommend MiniDSP over the DCX for what you are trying to achieve - Cheaper, less noise and more flexible.

Edit: Maybe im missing something but as I understand it you want to run the the woofer active and keep the mid and tweeter passive?

Last edited:
good question, probably yes, but if you do you'll need to reverse the tweeter too...
it would be easier simply to wire the woofer reverse polarity (try that first, wired both ways?)

thanks for the quick replies :)

my mid is already reversed in the current setup should i change it or just keep it like that and reversing the woofer(or do both)? :confused:

and sorry for all the questions but just one another thing...

what order and slope type should i choose, just stick with 2nd order or going lower/higher?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.