diamond wharfdale need repairing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a pair of wharfdale diamond iv speakers that are in need of repair.

https://picasaweb.google.com/merlin2049er/WharfdaleDiamondIV?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I gutted one of them after it sounded a bit muffled. I'm hoping I can find a suitable replacement for the tweeters (the woofers look like they're in good shape.)

I'll also replace the caps in the crossover.

Is it a simple as finding a tweeter that will fit in the opening in the cabinet? (these are my rear channel HT speakers)

Ideally you should find the correct tweeter for the speaker, but if you are using non-original parts then do both as a pair to keep them matched. From the photo it looks like they are an aluminium dome, so I would try to replace with a tweeter of the same diaphragm material, and also make sure that the impedance is the same or you will likely need to alter the crossover components.

Of course there is nothing to stop you putting in any random pair of tweeters that fit, you might strike lucky and be happy with the result or it could sound terrible. Only you can be the judge of what sounds good to your ears, but to keep the speaker sounding as close as intended by the manufacturer then try to replace with as close match as you can.

If you lived closer to me then I would gladly repair the blown tweeter for you, but the cost to send it around the world would likely cost more then the whole speakers are worth lol. HTH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.