Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

While Faital Pro is good/great IMO, when I was testing 10" midbasses (Faital, Ciare, 18 Sound, B&C, Beyma), the Faital's were the worst performing with regards to Harmonic Distortion (I tested a total of three different model Faital Pro's, not just one). They weren't terrible, they were still very clean with low HD, but the others blew them away for the most part.
Which of the Beyma/BC models did you test and which of those were the best in your opinion?

I've tested the B&C 10PLB76 and the Beyma 10G40 thus far. If I had to declare a "winner" based on my numerical data and grading criteria, the Beyma 10G40 bested the B&C 10PLB76. I doubt I could even tell the difference between any of them, they were all within 1% of each other. Even then, it's interesting to see the data unfold before your eyes. In defense of poor Faital that it seems I'm bashing (which I'm not) the 10FH530 that I tested is one of the better values for what it costs, besting out other drivers that surpassed it, as superb performance of some of the others does not come cheap. I just have 1 more 10" midbass to test, and I will publish all my data for all 9 midbasses. I just have to wait for Beyma to ship their new beast to the States. ;)

Last edited:
Ya I tend to get Beyma at better prices then other. For me the main two options are Beyma or BC. I tend to like the Beyma products more but thats just an opinion with zero facts. Just what I have used before and was happy was all. But was looking at using a single 10"with TPL150 for a smaller 2way as a surround speaker. I have a pair of PHL 10"(3451) that I will be using to build a pair of center channels underneath the TPL150.

phase accurate, I'll have to hook it up to the DATS when I get home today. I bought it used so I have no way of telling if it is an older or newer version, but the parameters will tell the story.

LewinskiH01, my conclusions are based on measurements only because they're all so close in performance that I can't tell the difference with my set of ears, so I have to no choice but to put faith in the data. (keep in mind that I am not listening to them full-range, but rather I bandpass them from about 100Hz to 1kHz, so some of the top-end FR differences don't have any effect). Thanks again for recommending the 10G40! :)

Here you can see it where I'm testing it integrating a Hygeia RT-62041 Planar Ribbon tweeter, crossed over at 80Hz/1,4khz. To my ears sounds great! And can get painfully loud!
uc

uc

For midrange from 300Hz-2kHz, I would [at first glance] recommend either the Ciare NDH 10-3 or the 18 Sound 10NDA610, based on pure [FR & THD] performance alone. But when factoring in costs (at least the costs that I found here in the USA), the Ciare NDH 10-3 is hands down the better value for the money spent. I will update my spreadsheets for that frequency range and send you a link in your Inbox.

Last edited:
I meant funny and not ridiculous !
You seem to play the bass as well and you seem to like the 10G40 as well, although I don't use mine for home listening. But I am maybe interested in the new version of these for an MTM.

The current MTMs are a little too "manly" for my listening distance:

YouTube

They were also a little too manly for the AGC of my phone.

Regards

Charles

I meant funny and not ridiculous !
You seem to play the bass as well and you seem to like the 10G40 as well, although I don't use mine for home listening. But I am maybe interested in the new version of these for an MTM.

The current MTMs are a little too "manly" for my listening distance:

YouTube

They were also a little too manly for the AGC of my phone.

Regards

Charles

I do a little of everything. ;)

Yup, those MTM's are very manly for a short listening distance.

Google did not find private measurements on the Beyma 8MC500Nd .

"Beyma unveiled a new family of woofers with patented Maltcross technology, with new 8, 10, 12, and 15-inch models, all with an optimized neodymium motor structure of very low weight. The concept for this new family is to achieve high efficiency in bass and mid/bass applications for high performance systems where high sensitivity, high linearity, low distortion, low weight and high total SPL are required.

The Beyma 8MC500Nd is a speaker with 2.5” coil, a sensitivity of around 98 dB, excellent power handling of 500 W AES and weight around 2.8 Kg. The new 10MC700Nd, 12MC700Nd and 15MC700Nd are 3” coil models, with sensitivities between 97 and 99 dB, nominal power of 700 W AES and weights between 3.6 and 4 Kg. Beyma’s Maltcross technology allows these new speakers a very efficient cooling of the voice coil, which reduces the losses by power compression and results in a more constant SPL, offering performance similar to models with larger motors and coils, which is an objective advantage in weight and performance."

The 8" Faital 8PR200 with 95db sensitivity and NdFeB motor produces a lower -F3 closed box crossover frequency.

From the SPL curve, both would allow a simple 2kHz crossover.

Saw the new Beyma 8MC500ND. Looks very interesting for paaring with TPL150. Someone tested it yet?

No, but I will be testing the 10MC700Nd when it hits US shores. I already have seen preliminary data on it, but I prefer to do my own testing, even with mediocre equipment, so it's on the same level playing field as the other testing I have done

Google is weak. What Google can't find, I can ;)

8MC500Nd FR & distortion, presumably at 2.83V/1m:
uc

HD in the upper-bass/lower-mid range looks impressive.

Last edited:
No, but I will be testing the 10MC700Nd when it hits US shores. I already have seen preliminary data on it, but I prefer to do my own testing, even with mediocre equipment, so it's on the same level playing field as the other testing I have done

Yes the 10MC700Nd is also a nice piece!

You will test it in combo with the TPL150? Anyway, please share your experience with it.

"Beyma unveiled a new family of woofers with patented Maltcross technology, with new 8, 10, 12, and 15-inch models, all with an optimized neodymium motor structure of very low weight. The concept for this new family is to achieve high efficiency in bass and mid/bass applications for high performance systems where high sensitivity, high linearity, low distortion, low weight and high total SPL are required.

The Beyma 8MC500Nd is a speaker with 2.5” coil, a sensitivity of around 98 dB, excellent power handling of 500 W AES and weight around 2.8 Kg. The new 10MC700Nd, 12MC700Nd and 15MC700Nd are 3” coil models, with sensitivities between 97 and 99 dB, nominal power of 700 W AES and weights between 3.6 and 4 Kg. Beyma’s Maltcross technology allows these new speakers a very efficient cooling of the voice coil, which reduces the losses by power compression and results in a more constant SPL, offering performance similar to models with larger motors and coils, which is an objective advantage in weight and performance."

The 8" Faital 8PR200 with 95db sensitivity and NdFeB motor produces a lower -F3 closed box crossover frequency.

From the SPL curve, both would allow a simple 2kHz crossover.

Not aware of these. From looking at specs, and from having looked at many 8" specs as midranges for TPL:
  • B&C 8PE21 is rated 98 dB sensitivity, 0.5mH Le, 2.7 motor strength/Mms. Very well regarded midrange
  • Faital 8PR155 is rated 97 dB sens, 0.41 mH Le, 1.4 motor strength/Mms. Very well regarded
  • Faital 8FE200 is rated 95 dB sens, 0.44 mH Le, 0.8 motor strength/Mms. Very well regarded

If higher sensitivity is desired/required, 18Sound 10NDA610 (10") or 6ND410 (6") at 102 dB sens look interesting on paper.

My two cents, and going from specs only: the Beyma 8MC500Nd doesn't look better than these to me.

Not aware of these. From looking at specs, and from having looked at many 8" specs as midranges for TPL:
  • B&C 8PE21 is rated 98 dB sensitivity, 0.5mH Le, 2.7 motor strength/Mms. Very well regarded midrange
  • Faital 8PR155 is rated 97 dB sens, 0.41 mH Le, 1.4 motor strength/Mms. Very well regarded
  • Faital 8FE200 is rated 95 dB sens, 0.44 mH Le, 0.8 motor strength/Mms. Very well regarded

If higher sensitivity is desired/required, 18Sound 10NDA610 (10") or 6ND410 (6") at 102 dB sens look interesting on paper.

My two cents, and going from specs only: the Beyma 8MC500Nd doesn't look better than these to me.

The 8PE21 is really good. I own and love them:D

Last edited:

Yes the 10MC700Nd is also a nice piece!

You will test it in combo with the TPL150? Anyway, please share your experience with it.

I might test it with the TPL-150 since I have it anyways, but I will eventually test it with many AMT's.

Please bookmark/subscribe to this thread to be notified when I get to post up my final measurements of the midbasses alone:

War of the 10" Monster Midbasses!