Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

No, I have not, as I can get Beyma chassis at a quite good price. But I've heard it in Systems using other drivers, like B&C, BMS and Faital. The B&C was a 8" midrange and was great, but not that I would prefer it to the Beymas.

Maybe my first choice at the moment is the 15P80Nd crossed at 1,1kHz (passive). It sounds great and has amazing dynamics and super clear midrange. I hope that I can try the new 15P80Fe soon, as it looks a bit better than the 15P80Nd on paper.

PHL is also one of the brands I need to try, but their driver cost more than I can afford at the moment, after buying TPLs :D

Your waveguide looks really great! How big is it?

I made a mtm with Faitals 6fe100 and a RAAL oem tweeter I get. Not the most aesthetically pleasing driver (the 6fe100) but looks good with a baffle cover and quarter round router but taken to the cut outs. Great performaning driver with an FS of 40hz so you will get some nice low frequency extension if needed. If you go with Faital or Ciare let me know and I can get you great pricing from them and a few other brands. The SB Acoustics Satori 6.5 is nice as well and should voice very nicely with it crossed at 3k. The RAAL and Satori with a 4th order xo sounded great.

The Faital's are fantastic. I use the 15PR400 and even that has amazing mid bass clarity. The 10pr410 is very good and really clean, midrange is silky smooth!! There is something about the faital's that separates them from others as far as sound quality is concerned. Very impressed!

Good to see you have first hand experience with 10pr410. Do you think it will work well crossed at 2kHz over to a TPL?

Have you ever compared the two side by side?

I ask because I have akways wondered about that AMT also. They are more expensive but they do make quite a few of them. I thought maybe that meant they have possibly a better tech on that driver. BUT I cant afford to randomly just buy drivers to just compare. BUT if this driver is very similar to the TPL then I may try one down the road. I prefer AMT's over CD's any day. But I have only tried the TPL. SO I would hope the Mundorf is the same.

-I totally missed this post. :eek:

Never compared them (subjectively). I've heard some of the Mundorf AMT's, but I don't think I've heard that one.

IF you got a TPL - I'd just stick with that, I don't think there would be huge differences depending on the equalization and use in a design.

-I totally missed this post. :eek:

Never compared them (subjectively). I've heard some of the Mundorf AMT's, but I don't think I've heard that one.

IF you got a TPL - I'd just stick with that, I don't think there would be huge differences depending on the equalization and use in a design.

Thanks. I am still budgeting for my pair of TPL's. After I have finished building my setup using the TPL's I will look at making a small 2way with the Mundorf's to see how they sound. Will be some time before I try this but its on the list. Need to buy some electronics first and then finish my 3way build.

..however, i don't see TPL150 as the ultimate tweeter as some pointed here.

Yeah, it really depends on the design's requirements. It might be the "ultimate" for a particular design where you need very high eff. above 3 kHz while ALSO requiring a high-pass filter (including compensation if needed) that is less complicated.

In a higher eff. AMT design (98-99 db, not 103 or more) I'd select that Mundorf (..which when ordered from the EU, is also less expensive).

-when going for the "ultimate" however, I probably wouldn't choose any AMT for a tweeter unless it was a very long line source dipole - w/ vertically stacked drivers (..which Mundorf happens to make). (..my general preference is for a good ribbon tweeter with a good transformer.)

i have build 2 sets of TPL150-H, one with 12" and one with 8".

the 8" definitely is a better match to the amt.

however, i don't see TPL150 as the ultimate tweeter as some pointed here.

Great!
Can you share which drivers were the 8" and 12"? TPL is what I'm working with, so more interested in the matching midrange rather that tweeter alternatives.

Thank you!

SO what is the vertical output of the Mundorf?

I dont need to have 103 sensitivity considering my mid and bass drivers wont be. SO either would work. Nothing else I can afford compares to the AMT's though. I have heard some ribbons and they are better than CD's but still not quite as nice to mt ear as the AMT's. I just wish someone near by had a Mundorf so I could have a listen.

SO what is the vertical output of the Mundorf?

I dont need to have 103 sensitivity considering my mid and bass drivers wont be. SO either would work. Nothing else I can afford compares to the AMT's though. I have heard some ribbons and they are better than CD's but still not quite as nice to mt ear as the AMT's. I just wish someone near by had a Mundorf so I could have a listen.

I consider CD in small horn that i used is better than the TPL, so my opinion may not valid for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk