Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2020, 10:16 PM   #751
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
Yes 8pe21 with DE250 on RCF 100 horn, crossed at 2k. Bass is 18p80nd. Although my original design used the 12p80nd you lose far too much detail in the vocals. I find when I use something smaller than 8 inch for the midrange piano and guitar sound odd. Perhaps 4 way is what would work best but power amplification becomes expensive as system is active.
Interesting!
I'm running active too and very much interested in 8pe21 crossed at 2kHz. What amp are you using to drive it?

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #752
deank is offline deank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

100 watt valve KT 88 for both treble and midrange so “voicing” sounds the same over the critical frequencies. Eventually if I can afford it I will have a 400 watt KT88 based bass amp but this is very expensive. I believe you can use a transistor based amp as long as the class is the same ie A/B. Class D won’t work so well as it seems to flatten the sound and you lose the natural harmonics.
Old 6th March 2020, 02:51 PM   #753
mixMZ is offline mixMZ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
Although my original design used the 12p80nd you lose far too much detail in the vocals. I find when I use something smaller than 8 inch for the midrange piano and guitar sound odd.

And how low do you cross that 8 inch mid?

I personally started believing that the most important driver in the speaker is the midrange itself where range from let say 350hz up to min 3-4khz or even higher is played by one driver.

It could be true as the human hearing is the most sensitive to that range, and probably If we could only have 1 driver, it would have to be a midrange.
Old 6th March 2020, 03:39 PM   #754
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixMZ View Post
And how low do you cross that 8 inch mid?

I personally started believing that the most important driver in the speaker is the midrange itself where range from let say 350hz up to min 3-4khz or even higher is played by one driver.

It could be true as the human hearing is the most sensitive to that range, and probably If we could only have 1 driver, it would have to be a midrange.
Your Audax PR170zo should cover that range (?)
Old 6th March 2020, 04:06 PM   #755
mixMZ is offline mixMZ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
Your Audax PR170zo should cover that range (?)
Thats what im hoping...

Havent tested those drivers yet im afraid
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:00 AM   #756
dave123 is offline dave123
diyAudio Member

has anyone ever tried to use Beyma 12P80ND-V2 in OB configuration? I'm wondering if it's usable from ~200hz to 1.2-1.3khz
Old 25th March 2020, 07:55 AM   #757
meister_gue is offline meister_gue  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hello

I borrowed and tried the Fe version (12P80FeV2) in an open baffle in pretty much the same range you want to use it, and it was working very well!
Old 25th March 2020, 09:35 PM   #758
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave123 View Post
has anyone ever tried to use Beyma 12P80ND-V2 in OB configuration? I'm wondering if it's usable from ~200hz to 1.2-1.3khz
Please see the link for information regarding the results when said driver is placed in an *infinite baffle*

Too many times I have read a posting suggesting that an "open baffle" is some sort of cure all. The "open baffle" concept is VERY MUCH MIS-UNDERSTOOD.

Depending upon the baffle board dimensions, you will start introducing front-to-back frequency cancellation. 200Hz is a wavelength of 5.65 feet

Your open baffle dimensions would have to approach this size, in order to prevent the acoustic short-circuit.

http://manuals.audiomania.ru/data/beyma_12p80ndv2.pdf
Old 26th March 2020, 02:30 AM   #759
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'd say if you're active you can go which speaker you want with baffle you want.
There is just output what limits, Only worry is how silent is motor.
Like if you go with bms 12n820 there is strong vent buzz around 380hz and cone breaks up 1.7k

Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150Hide this!Advertise here!