Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

The Dayton PS220-8 is a full range design with a whizzer cone and a phase plug.

Dayton also sells the PM220-8 midbass with a standard dust cap. The T/S specs model well, but the bumpy SPL/freq curve raises concerns.

I never heard them. Thats the info i got :

Besides a pair of the inexpensive Dayton PS220-8 sounds much, much better than the Fostex FE208ES-R drivers do after my friend finishes treating the cones! That's why I decided to sell the FE208ES-R drivers. After using the Daytons I could never return to seriously using the Fostex FE208ES-R drivers! Best part is the Dayton's are inexpensive at $256.

I never heard them. Thats the info i got :

Besides a pair of the inexpensive Dayton PS220-8 sounds much, much better than the Fostex FE208ES-R drivers do after my friend finishes treating the cones! That's why I decided to sell the FE208ES-R drivers. After using the Daytons I could never return to seriously using the Fostex FE208ES-R drivers! Best part is the Dayton's are inexpensive at $256.

Angelo,

You're 100% correct! I was the person who told you I replaced a pair of Fostex FE208ES-R drivers full-range for Dayton PS220-8in full-range drivers in my Sachiko double-back-loaded horns. I allowed the FE208ES-R to roll-off naturally. Then I added a pair of Fostex T900a as super-tweeters and crossed them in at 10KHz and up to that point this combination was one of the best speakers I had ever heard.

However one day a friend, who has a phenomenal sounding, 7-step, proprietary, cone treatment, called me up and told me he discovered a pair of inexpensive, full-range drivers, that once he applied his cone treatment to them went from being good sounding to absolutely outstanding sounding.

I obviously took that information with a very large grain of salt, but told him to bring them over so I could listen to them in my Sachiko enclosures. Well my friend was over within the hour and within less than 30 seconds of listening I knew I was keeping these inexpensive Dayton PS220-8 full-range drivers in the Sachikos and selling the FE208ES-R drivers!

Now as far as how the PS220-8 measure, I don't know and I don't care! I always allow my ears to be the final arbitrators. Microphones don't listen or hear how the human ear listens or hears, so why would I base my opinions on what they hear over what I hear? And for anyone who thinks I'm crazy I say check out my audio gear at this link:

Thetubeguy1954's Final Audio System... - My Photo Gallery

And know that money doesn't influence my opinion of what sounds best. In fact in these past 18 months I've replaced a pair of $10,000 ICs with $200 ICs, a $1500 Digital wire with a $375 Digital wire and a pair of $1900 full-range drivers with a pair of $256 full-range drivers because in every instance the less expensive audio component sounded best!

So yes Angelo those Dayton PS220-8 with treated cones will blow most below away! I removed $1.9K Fostex FE208ES-R drivers and replaced them with the $256 a pair PS220-8 drivers and I even know of a man who replaced the AER drivers that were in his Lamhorn 1.8 with the treated Dayton PS220-8drivers! I think that says a little something about how good they can sound...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Just bought a pair of Beyma 5g40nd , brand new, at ebay for us$ 2,00 :D

wondering how they will perform.....

Attachments

• 5g40nd.jpg
    5g40nd.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 795
hmmm, don't know yet, if i shall try it out in my lower midrange horn, as desktop widebander with my pc, or in my car......

I thought you were so happy with your 12" Beyma and AMT speaker? So if that speaker was so great why are you building a different speaker? Just curious, I'm not criticizing...

I'm listening to: Old & In The Way by Old & In The Way

The Dayton PS220-8 is a full range design with a whizzer cone and a phase plug.

Dayton also sells the PM220-8 midbass with a standard dust cap. The T/S specs model well, but the bumpy SPL/freq curve raises concerns.

I don't trust specs. because they don't correlate to what I'm hearing in my system. I've been using Sachiko double-back-loaded horns for years now. I've had Lowther DX4, Fostex FE206E, FE206ES-R & FE208ES-R installed and was using the Fostex FE208ES-R up until about 8 months ago.

That's when a friend brought over a pair of Dayton PS220-8 drivers. These had a special 7-step proprietary cone treatment applied, but so did all the previously mentioned drivers except the FE208ES-R ---{I would have had the cone treatment applied to the FE208ES-R because I knew it would improve their sound. However the FE208ES-R are expensive ($1.8K/pr) and at only 250prs world-wide very rare. So I didn't want to chance ruining their resale value in the eyes of others}--- so all these drivers were on an even playing field!

Despite whatever the specs may say, those PS220-8 are the most realistic sounding driver of the lot. After installing my pair EVERYONE who visited my home said they sound quality of the audio system was vastly improved. So as a single full-range driver, once their cones are treated they are absolutely incredible sounding, period. And anyone who might be visiting the Orlando, FL. area is welcome to contact to come over for a listening session in person. That way they'll be able to hear for themselves what I'm saying is true!

Just don't blame me if you leave lusting for a pair of the Dayton PS220-8 drivers for yourself...

I thought you were so happy with your 12" Beyma and AMT speaker? So if that speaker was so great why are you building a different speaker? Just curious, I'm not criticizing...

Hi Tom

the 5g40nd is just a little toy to play and experiment with. Didn't buy it with the intention to replace the 12p80nd.
I have stopped trying to improve my system, its fully satisfying the way it is. So i don't think there will be major changes for a good time...... :)

Have you bought TPL150 ?

Angelo

Hi Tom

the 5g40nd is just a little toy to play and experiment with. Didn't buy it with the intention to replace the 12p80nd.
I have stopped trying to improve my system, its fully satisfying the way it is. So i don't think there will be major changes for a good time...... :)

Have you bought TPL150 ?

Angelo

Angelo,

I haven't purchased anything yet. I just replaced the four 845 tubes in my 135lb, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated SET amp, with the WE845 which cost $1600 for the quad. I'll need to sell some piece of audio gear I have lying around before I can afford to purchase the four Beyma drivers you spoke about. I'm curious what type and size enclosure do you have those 12" Beyma drivers in? I forgot...

I'm listening to: Inside Out by The Connection

Angelo,

I haven't purchased anything yet. I just replaced the four 845 tubes in my 135lb, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated SET amp, with the WE845 which cost $1600 for the quad. I'll need to sell some piece of audio gear I have lying around before I can afford to purchase the four Beyma drivers you spoke about. I'm curious what type and size enclosure do you have those 12" Beyma drivers in? I forgot...

hi Tom

i had the intention to use the 12p80nd provisorly in the cab annexed, and then to build it into my lower midrange horn. But my woodworker has some health problems, so it didnt happen. Don't know, if i will still do it....I damped the back port heavily, so its almost like a closed box now.
In the mean while, i sent Ray's fullrange amt's back to him upon his request. I am listening now again with the 12p80nd/TPL150, active, with Groundsound DCN23 crossover, crossed at 1,6khz.

Angelo

Attachments

• Laligne340ACTLB.jpg
    Laligne340ACTLB.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 763
hi Tom

i had the intention to use the 12p80nd provisorly in the cab annexed, and then to build it into my lower midrange horn. But my woodworker has some health problems, so it didnt happen. Don't know, if i will still do it....I damped the back port heavily, so its almost like a closed box now.
In the mean while, i sent Ray's fullrange amt's back to him upon his request. I am listening now again with the 12p80nd/TPL150, active, with Groundsound DCN23 crossover, crossed at 1,6khz.

Angelo

Angelo thanks for the cabinet plans. What fullrange AMT's are you talking about? Who makes them? Are they superior to the Beyma AMTs?

I'm listening to: New Pants by Flim & the BBs

Angelo thanks for the cabinet plans. What fullrange AMT's are you talking about? Who makes them? Are they superior to the Beyma AMTs?

hi Tom

these were amt prototypes Raymond sent me for testing. He is not member here anymore. They cover from 150hz up to ~ 15khz . The advantage is, these keep the purity and speed of amt's down to 150hz. Hope Ray will be able these to make one day commercially.

Angelo

hi Tom

these were amt prototypes Raymond sent me for testing. He is not member here anymore. They cover from 150hz up to ~ 15khz . The advantage is, these keep the purity and speed of amt's down to 150hz. Hope Ray will be able these to make one day commercially.

Angelo

Angelo please let me know if Ray starts making them commercially, ok?

Angelo,

It would be interesting if you were to try the BG planars to see how close you think the combo TPL-150 + Neo10 would get to Raymond's AMT.

Also how you'd find a 3-way with 12P80Nd + 2xNeo10 (in a square 8"x8") + TPL-150 (300/2000Hz) versus your 2-way with 12P80Nd + TPL-150 (1600Hz).

Angelo,

It would be interesting if you were to try the BG planars to see how close you think the combo TPL-150 + Neo10 would get to Raymond's AMT.

Also how you'd find a 3-way with 12P80Nd + 2xNeo10 (in a square 8"x8") + TPL-150 (300/2000Hz) versus your 2-way with 12P80Nd + TPL-150 (1600Hz).

The neo10's have a very uneven frequency response, and low efficiency. I have never heard them, so i have no idea how they sound. Aesthetically they do not combine in my view with the Beyma's.

Angelo,

However one day a friend, who has a phenomenal sounding, 7-step, proprietary, cone treatment, called me up and told me he discovered a pair of inexpensive, full-range drivers, that once he applied his cone treatment to them went from being good sounding to absolutely outstanding sounding.

So, what's the story on the magic cone treatment?

Bill

So, what's the story on the magic cone treatment?

Bill

My friend Mike developed his proprietary 7-step process over the course of 3 years, destroying many drivers in the process. Now he has a cone treatment that literally almost works "magic" on the cones of drivers. Take for sample the Dayton PS220-8 full-range drivers I'm now using in my Sachikos.

When Mike came over he brought two pairs of PS220-8 drivers with him. This was done so I'd be able to hear exactly what the cone treatment itself does by comparing stock vs a treated PS220-8 drivers in my Sachikos cabinets! First he replaced my Fostex FE208ES-R drivers by installing the stock version of the Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Full-Range drivers. Now while the stock version of PS220-8 drivers sounded ok ---{especially given their $256 a pair price tag}--- they definitely wouldn't have caused me to replace the FE208ES-R drivers with them.

However when Mike began to remove the stock Dayton PS220-8 drivers so he could install the PS220-8 drivers with the cone treatment applied. I almost told him not to bother. Although I knew they would sound better, because my FE206E, FE206ES-R & Lowther DX4 all had their cones treated. I guess I had forgotten just how drastically his cone treatment improved their sound, because of the amount of time that had past since I heard a direct comparison between a pair of stock, and treated cone pair of drivers.

The first song started and hadn't played for 5 seconds when I heard the drastic level of sonic improvement over the FE208ES-R. I immediately looked at Mike and said; "I'll pay you for these drivers, but you aren't removing them from the Sachikos --period! Those are now my PS220-8 drivers!" These treated PS220-8 drivers have been in my Sachikos for about 8 months now and they'll be difficult to better. As I said before; anyone thinks I'm exaggerating can come to visit the sunny, beautiful Orlando, FL area. Then feel free to contact me at: thetubeguy1954(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll invite you over for a listening session.

Mike has treated Lowthers, Audio Nirvana, Fostex, and Hawthorne Audio 15" Silver Iris coaxial drivers. He even has a special treatment for compression drivers. If you'd like to know more or obtain referrals. Anyone interested in knowing more about what Mike does. I suggest contacting Mike directly at: mike(at)woodworksofdistinction(dot)com He can answer any questions you might have. However let me warn up front you he doesn't like tire-kicker or people who are just wasting his time. I hope this helps you...

My friend Mike developed his proprietary 7-step process over the course of 3 years, destroying many drivers in the process. Now he has a cone treatment that literally almost works "magic" on the cones of drivers. Take for sample the Dayton PS220-8 full-range drivers I'm now using in my Sachikos.

When Mike came over he brought two pairs of PS220-8 drivers with him. This was done so I'd be able to hear exactly what the cone treatment itself does by comparing stock vs a treated PS220-8 drivers in my Sachikos cabinets! First he replaced my Fostex FE208ES-R drivers by installing the stock version of the Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Full-Range drivers. Now while the stock version of PS220-8 drivers sounded ok ---{especially given their $256 a pair price tag}--- they definitely wouldn't have caused me to replace the FE208ES-R drivers with them.

However when Mike began to remove the stock Dayton PS220-8 drivers so he could install the PS220-8 drivers with the cone treatment applied. I almost told him not to bother. Although I knew they would sound better, because my FE206E, FE206ES-R & Lowther DX4 all had their cones treated. I guess I had forgotten just how drastically his cone treatment improved their sound, because of the amount of time that had past since I heard a direct comparison between a pair of stock, and treated cone pair of drivers.

The first song started and hadn't played for 5 seconds when I heard the drastic level of sonic improvement over the FE208ES-R. I immediately looked at Mike and said; "I'll pay you for these drivers, but you aren't removing them from the Sachikos --period! Those are now my PS220-8 drivers!" These treated PS220-8 drivers have been in my Sachikos for about 8 months now and they'll be difficult to better. As I said before; anyone thinks I'm exaggerating can come to visit the sunny, beautiful Orlando, FL area. Then feel free to contact me at: thetubeguy1954(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll invite you over for a listening session.

Mike has treated Lowthers, Audio Nirvana, Fostex, and Hawthorne Audio 15" Silver Iris coaxial drivers. He even has a special treatment for compression drivers. If you'd like to know more or obtain referrals. Anyone interested in knowing more about what Mike does. I suggest contacting Mike directly at: mike(at)woodworksofdistinction(dot)com He can answer any questions you might have. However let me warn up front you he doesn't like tire-kicker or people who are just wasting his time. I hope this helps you...

hi Tom

can you be a little more specific, how the treatment changes the performance to the better ?