TDL Studio 3 restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's about time i post something after 7 years of lurking on diyaudio.

A couple of weeks ago i adopted a pair of TDL Studio 3 transmission line speakers from a good friend of mine. They had been stored in a slightly moist basement that smells of oil and they weren't improving on it.. I was more than happy to offer them a new home although at nearly 30kg each it was quite an effort to get them moved!

Now that i've listened to them for a while on an Accuphase amp from the same 80s era, i must say that i'm pleasantly surprised by the sound of these units. The drivers are of absolute high build quality and implemented in a d'appolito layout powered by a 2-way filter. Sadly the cabinet had been painted over in the past and was dented and scratched from storage. I'm currently working on a new coating.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not sure what's going on with the pritex here..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Removing the old paint which was loose already in some places.

The wood veneer underneath the black paint didn't come out good enough to restore it so i put it in primer. Now i'm applying a nice white finish. Bottom side and the foot are black so it won't look that "dirty" over time.

Next on my list are upgrading the internal wiring and giving the filter a proper upgrade with high quality components. Since i don't have the exact values of the original components i have to measure them individually. The caps have been replaced in the past and are confirmed to have slightly different values due to availability. Current reverse-engineering put into a drawing below. L1 still unmeasured. More on this later!

All drivers are TDL branded, the woofers have "electric acoustic industries ltd" imbued in their frames. As for the original filter components, they were basic cement resistors and a small air coil inductor with ~0.7mm wiring. It measures 0.9ohms which is a bit high i guess. The caps have been replaced by MKP ones, i'm sure they weren't that high grade originally.

My goal is proper quality series components, MKP+ for the high along with a MOX and a good low resistance air coil for the low frequencies, depending on its mH value i still have to get measured. Parallel part in low can remain MKP cap and a cement resistor.

Not sure, it's hard to find any good information about these speakers! Also there appear to be multiple versions of the Studio's. Made a typo in my last post; it's Electro not Electric.

Originally known as Transducer Developments Ltd., TDL was founded in the 1970s as a joint venture between IMF Electronics Ltd. - famous for its transmission line speaker systems, and Electro Acoustic Industries Ltd., - ELAC - one of the UK's leading commercial loudspeaker drive unit manufacturers.

hello,
I've just collected TDL Studio 3's and wanted to upgrade the crossover as well.
Unfortunately, I can't find any scheme on the net.
You said you updated the original values for caps in a picture above, but I can't seem to open it.....
Would you be so kind to upload it once again?
Thank you.

I think these are great speakers, also have IMF TLS 50mk2 which are upgraded.
Big fan of IMF and TDL....

For information - Studio 3 mk2 owners will find the crossover unit directly behind the binding posts on the rear of the speaker and not behind the lower bass/mid driver as shown in images on the net - which I guess are from version 1?
You will find 4 caps on the crossover - 2x 5uF caps, a 4uF cap, and a 12uF cap. Please correct me if I am wrong or if you find Mk1's or MkIII's have a different setup.

Last edited:
Photo of TDL Studio 3 mkII's crossover in proccess of cap upgrade
TDLS3crossover.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.