Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

How to calculate floor bounce reflection(cancellation)
How to calculate floor bounce reflection(cancellation)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 04:28 PM   #1
jtsaudio is offline jtsaudio  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Default How to calculate floor bounce reflection(cancellation)

I have a 6" two way tower speaker that I may add a larger woofer to for more extended bass.

I read somewhere that there is a floor-bounce cancellation related to woofer height (Allison effect?).

The 6" driver is approximately 30 inches from the floor.

How do I determine the frequency at which this occurs, and how will/should this affect my choice of lower-end crossover frequencies?

Thank you.

Joe
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:48 PM   #2
dantheman is offline dantheman  United States
diyAudio Member

This will help:

Floor/Ceiling Reflection Calculator
audio blog: A little more into boundary conditions

Dan
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:10 PM   #3
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

This Excel spreadsheet based modeler written by Jeff Bagby does the same, and more:
Loudspeaker Design Software

-Charlie
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:17 PM   #4
DBMandrake is offline DBMandrake  Scotland
diyAudio Member

For a really quick, back of the napkin calculation, there is also this useful page:

Floor/Ceiling Reflection Calculator
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Michael Chua is offline Michael Chua  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsaudio View Post
I have a 6" two way tower speaker that I may add a larger woofer to for more extended bass.

I read somewhere that there is a floor-bounce cancellation related to woofer height (Allison effect?).

The 6" driver is approximately 30 inches from the floor.
The floor bounce is real. I picked this up while I was designing a 2-way with Zaph's ZA14W08. Speaker was on a 30" stand.

The cancellation doesn't show up in near field measurements. However, when the mic was placed 1 meter away, an in-room 20-20K ungated sweep registered a deep notch at approx 150Hz.

That's one reason why mid-bass is missing sometimes.

More measurements can be found at SWIFT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZA14_SYS_FR.jpg (110.3 KB, 1091 views)
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:09 PM   #6
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chua View Post
The floor bounce is real. I picked this up while I was designing a 2-way with Zaph's ZA14W08. Speaker was on a 30" stand.

The cancellation doesn't show up in near field measurements. However, when the mic was placed 1 meter away, an in-room 20-20K ungated sweep registered a deep notch at approx 150Hz.

A 3-way with the woofer located at or very near the floor, and the woofer-midrange crossover point at or above 200Hz, can completely eliminate this problem.

-Charlie
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Wayne Parham is offline Wayne Parham  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chua View Post

Floor bounce definitely is real. So is the notch from the wall behind the speakers. Vertical axis room modes also tend to fall in this frequency range. Really messes up the lower midrange.

I tend to suggest flanking subs to mitigate this problem. Run a "helper woofer" just a smidge on the high side, like just north of 100Hz. It will smooth the lower midrange, sort of filling in the holes from the self-interference notches.
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Wayne Parham is offline Wayne Parham  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
A 3-way with the woofer located at or very near the floor, and the woofer-midrange crossover point at or above 200Hz, can completely eliminate this problem.

-Charlie
Definitely. I either run a three-way with mid and woofer blended between 100Hz and 250Hz or, if I run a stand-mounted two-way, I run flanking subs, which effectively do the same thing. I don't usually run flanking subs quite that high, but I do let them blend in the octave above 100Hz.
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:28 PM   #9
bbggg is offline bbggg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsaudio View Post
How do I determine the frequency at which this occurs, and how will/should this affect my choice of lower-end crossover frequencies?
It's dead simple both to visualize and to calculate. You have to imagine a mirror image of the driver deep inside the floor. When sound emission from the driver itself and from this subterranean image are in antiphase, there is cancellation. This happens when path length difference is half a wavelength. You calculate the path length difference by calculating two hypotenuses and subtracting one from the other, and then divide the speed of sound by the result: this number is twice the frequency in question.
Old 14th April 2013, 03:41 PM   #10
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Could I use a 10" wide baffle and still cross over around 200Hz with a floor mounted woofer? Or do you have to use a wider baffle for this to work?

How to calculate floor bounce reflection(cancellation)Hide this!Advertise here!