Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Audax HM130Z0/Z10? opinions? anything better in a similar vein?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2011, 08:41 PM   #11
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
Good question
With a hand drill, it's very risky. Perhaps with a press drill, it's easier, you can limited the deep of drilling.
The better solution is to make the hole with a soldering iron . Drill with heat
poly baskets are handy sometimes!!!

I plan to remove the magnet, cover the mag gap with masking tape. then Clamp in a bench drill, tape facing me, and drill. using tack to remove any swarf in the drilled vent 'hole' before removing the masking and reassembling the driver.

I work in a HV, EM machine manufacture and test facility, so im used to swarf precautions

Thank you Jerome, your suggestions have been very welcome. I am seriously considering: i) drilling magnet pole vent, ii) drilling behing spider vent, OR iii) removing the dustcap, and trying to get a phaseplug made. Its going to be a difficult decision!

Its good to see someone with the same enthusiasm for the HDA drivers as myself

Last edited by mondogenerator; 21st September 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 21st September 2011, 08:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
The better Audax 130s are, as you've discovered, more midrange drivers than bass. I've been pleasantly surprised by the SB Acoustics range, you might find their 5" more useful.
Yes this is true, for the LOWEST Mms and what would seem the smoothest HF roll off, then the HM range are better. The best would seem to be the HM170Z0, but i wasnt really considering THAT option until i saw the graphs. The SB's are reasonable, Vas a bit large, mms comparable. paper cone? pity...paper is good but i still have a self doped pair of HT130M0. paper just doesnt seem to show the detail quite like the HDA drivers, the difference between the detail is very noticable, at least in the Audax i mention.

Maybe just adapting the AP130z0 would be an improvement, after all theyre hardly BAD drivers at all. slightly more complex to cross, but everythings a compromise. im not sure even if the motor is much different between the AP and HM drivers. the basket already has added damping mods, so possibly venting the spider/airgap may help things slightly. I love the sound of these drivers either way, I just wanted the last drop of lightweight HDA goodness.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 21st September 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:07 PM   #13
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking HDA, I love it. The SBs are, well, I'm not sure quite what the cones are, but they do have 90% of that Aerogel goodness.
“One of the poets, whose name I cannot recall, has a passage, which I am unable at the moment to remember, in one of his works, which for the time being has slipped my mind, which hits off admirably this age-old situation.”
― PG Wodehouse
Old 21st September 2011, 09:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
Note you can buy Audax here :
Google Translate

or

Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY
A pair of H130Z0 76.96 + 15.85 shipping = 92.81€ = 81.54GBP
Again Thank you very much Jerome. Too many options now considering the Z4, despite the higher mms. 2nd coil loaded through a resistor to increase Qts a little...maybe closed box could be possible.....Food for thought indeed
Old 21st September 2011, 09:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking HDA, I love it. The SBs are, well, I'm not sure quite what the cones are, but they do have 90% of that Aerogel goodness.
Hahaha no they look good, substantially flatter for another octave over the AP130Z0, but steeper rise after. better mms than the AP's, heavier than the HM's. lower Fs too. probably a paper/composite paper by the appearance.

Its a hard choice. I remember when I originally bought the AP's, several years ago. The only thing I disliked about the high end Audax was that they were all leant heavily to the vented alignments. The attraction of the HM range is the small box volumes. The ones i have now are in 15 litres and tuned a little lower than SBB4 so F3~55hz, but could actually be lower still. 120hz F3 in a vented box is no good, and awkward for a sub too. I could get similar with the AP in a closed box. Thats why the Z4 dual VC look interesting. im not sure realistically how far I can tune Qts by shorting the 2nd coil with a resistor, but they may be worth experimenting with.

I guess the thing I dont know is if i would notic the difference between the HM and AP aerogel drivers. if i had the AP in a sealed box F3~110hz, and the HM in a vented box F3~100hz (fairly realistic guess-timations), would I really tell the difference, in anything other than the bass rolloff? given the same tweeter and x o point.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 21st September 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default I have a feeling Im going to be very poor soon!

If the graph is to be believed...

Google Translate

very nice.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:16 PM   #17
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's a distortion sweep for the HM130Z0 driven at around 2.83v.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

well -40dB is fairly good? I would think so but i dont often have luxury of distortion plots. Never seem to be able to find the ones i want! It would be interesting to compare the distortion plot of the AP130Z0...
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:44 AM   #19
fabel is offline fabel  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hey Mondogenerator,

ever thought about one of these ( or its brothers with paper cone ) : WF152BD01_02

I have not used them so far but their data is excellent - even in respect of distortion. And they sell in the same price range as the Audax drivers.

G F
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default hmm interesting Fabel

No ive not used wavecore drivers before, but ive considered Nomex drivers before. The limitation of my feeble mind cant get over Nomex' original use as electrical insulation
they seem comparable to the seas? Scanspeak? Slightly cheaper? Mind like a sieve.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 22nd September 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Audax HM130Z0/Z10? opinions? anything better in a similar vein?Hide this!Advertise here!