Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

From TW to TMWW ?
From TW to TMWW ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2011, 04:07 AM   #1
qguy is offline qguy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to qguy Send a message via MSN to qguy Send a message via Yahoo to qguy
Default From TW to TMWW ?

I am planning to upgrade my bookshelves to Floorstanders, I was thinking of going for a Zaph ZRT 2.5 ways. Considering that I have a bookshelves with one Usher 9950 tweeter and one Usher 8945 7 inch woofer. Would adding two 8 inch woofers ala Wilson Watt Puppy be a good move or should I just go for a new DIY Floorstander. I understand that I would need to modify the existing crossovers for the woofer and add a new one for the two 8 inch woofers. I dont need the woofers to really go low (Rythmik 15 inch sub is present), I just need to the system to have more mid bass slam.

Any thoughts ? Woofer suggestions ? crossover point at ?

Scrap the idea ?

Last edited by qguy; 1st September 2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 1st September 2011, 04:53 AM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Q-Guy ,
What you need in a wwMt is ...a Midrange : That thing !
If the Ushers that you have in the cabinet are sufficiently robust , I don't see the issues , other than the 'classic' ones that are related with driver diameter/dispersion at various frequencies . So , for a 'classic' bookshelf ,the project is intended to be fairly good ,the perfect compromise for budget and space . Problems that may occur when putting the crossover points in the 'telephone band' are serious and need knowledge and application .
The best thing to do is to measure each component and get an idea of what's its ideal band ( ideous ! ) .
Theoretically , I would keep the Usher woofer and cross it at about 500 Hz ,even 800 Hz , then put a MONSTER PLANAR like a B&G neo 8 or...10 !!
and if the Usher tw is good enough ,keep it for the upper end ....
Old 1st September 2011, 05:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to qguy Send a message via MSN to qguy Send a message via Yahoo to qguy
good idea, I might not be able to use the NEOs as the current enclosure will not fit, but your idea to make the 8945 as a woofer sounds good, basically Add new Midrange (7 inch ) that fits the current enclosure and use the 8945 as woofers
Old 1st September 2011, 05:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Why a 7" midrange ? I'm recently finishing a two way with a 5" wf and a 1" dome tw ,the intention is to have a sweet integration at crossover frequency ( 2.5 K Hz ) without too much time spent in making a crossover being able to optimize dispersion behavior .
A TB W4 655 SA is said to be an excellent performer as a midrange .And , about enclosure making ...why not ?!
Old 1st September 2011, 06:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The current enclosures are really nice, would want to make the process as "simple" as I can manage

1. Add two 8 inch woofers or one Ten inch woofer with box and crossover to serve as stands
2 Modify existing crossover to relieve bass from current 2 ways
3. Enjoy the music .... i hope...

Last edited by qguy; 1st September 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 1st September 2011, 06:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok ,now I understand : you want to shift to an order of bigger magnitude ,so the wf would become a mid-wf .
As I told you , bookshelves ,or at least most of 2 way systems ,are quite 'easy' to do ,although many don't like the transition from mid-wf to Tw in the telephone band . they are easy in a budget oriented market : coils for a 2 KHz crossovers are in the 1-2 mH range ( for 8 Ohm drivers !!) ,and prices rise up when crossing low ,in the range of 5 -10 mH . Also caps for highpass can be
monstruosly not cheap ,that's why many are going active ,and I suggest to go active for 'relieving the woofer from bass '.
And...crossover is the heart of a loudspeaker : fail it , and it won't sound any good .
  Reply to this post

From TW to TMWW ?Hide this!Advertise here!