Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

An easy to build classic horn?
An easy to build classic horn?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2011, 09:20 AM   #1
dabbler is offline dabbler
Account disabled at member's request

Default An easy to build classic horn?

This is just for fun really. I have a pile of foamcore sheets at home and was thinking of making some large horns with easy to build profiles, like the altec mantaray horn.

If I dont like it I can toss it, no harm done. Any other easy horn designs out there that would be worth a try? Up to 500mm (20 inches) wide and deep would be ok and 600-700 hz crossover would be nice.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:46 AM   #2
revintage is offline revintage
diyAudio Member

fabrication1

Can also be made rectangular. The templates is easy to get from HR.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:08 AM   #3

Hi Revintage, not sure where HR is?

I'm also thinking something like an 8 petal conical could be easy to make. Anyone have experience with such horns? Any programs available for modelling?
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:19 PM   #4

I think i'll start very basic and work my way up: A square conical horn. Is there a quick formula / ratio for calculating cut-off?

I'll smooth the throat transition with some putty...
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Use HR=Hornresp! It also has templates for four and up petals. You should also use Hornresp to model the horn whatever flare you want, Tractrix, Expeonential etc, etc. You get the templates after you have modelled the horn.
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:08 PM   #6

Ah okay thanks. I did try hornresp but had no idea where to start. Can't see anything on conical horns or petals etc. That GUI is for smarter chaps than me!
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Without the flares and templates you can forget about building the horn. But if you decide how you want it, Fs, At(driver-area), type(Tx, Exp, etc) , number of petals(from four), I will make it for you. Go for a square Tractrix!
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
This is just for fun really. I have a pile of foamcore sheets at home and was thinking of making some large horns with easy to build profiles
Why not just conical then?
Old 26th August 2011, 05:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
Without the flares and templates you can forget about building the horn. But if you decide how you want it, Fs, At(driver-area), type(Tx, Exp, etc) , number of petals(from four), I will make it for you. Go for a square Tractrix!
Thanks for the help, I had a look through the HR help manual and it makes sense now, so I should be able to get something happening on my own! I will eventually build a tractrix and le cleach but I will start with a square conical, simply because it is easy to build with stiff foamcor.

It seems that cutoff frequency cannot be entered for a conical horn (F12). Why is that? I can enter it for tractix and le cleach without a problem....?
Old 26th August 2011, 06:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Did you really check the conical horns frequency response on/off-axis? Constant directivity is useless for high-or mid-horns. The low end drops early which means you have to make it very big to go down to your prefered XO-point.

An easy to build classic horn?Hide this!Advertise here!