3 way using woofer plus ciare coaxial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes Brett, I better email the Godfather again.

el`Ol, I assume you'd probably cross that BMS 12/horn at around 1kHz. I just wonder how good say the 500 to 1000Hz range will sound when mostly blocked by the horn in front of it.

The woofer response is more rugged in that drivers, but if you compensate it with a DEQX anyway... Real horns usually sound less horny than castrated stuff, so you are more free in the choice of your amplifier. Recently there was a a two way with the 15" version with 6 dB crossover in a German DIY magazine and they liked it. The 12" version is even more "closed", however. The Beyma version is more open.
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12CXA400Nd.pdf

I looked up the test of the 15" BMS coaxial: The 30°-Response is 5 dB shifted from 2 kHz on at 30° and the 45° response has nothing in common with the on-axis response from 400 Hz up. And why should one want a coaxial? To let the reflections look like the direct sound.

Last edited:
Oops. Didn't realize the Ciare pro drivers have titanium diaphragm. Probably not my cup of tea. What one could also think about is the 8" BMS. http://bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=8cn552_overview I listended to the 5" (with a soft-sounding, but powerful amp) and found it tonally very good (Not the freedom of compression one would expect from a pro driver, however.

Last edited:
Oops. Didn't realize the Ciare pro drivers have titanium diaphragm. Probably not my cup of tea. What one could also think about is the 8" BMS. Overview I listended to the 5" (with a soft-sounding, but powerful amp) and found it tonally very good (Not the freedom of compression one would expect from a pro driver, however.
BMS drivers are difficult to get here and the EU stores are very expensive both for the drivers and shipping, or I would have had some of the 8CN552 a long time ago.

Old thread...

I just tried out the NDCX12-1.4. First impressions are very favorable. Smooth and detailed. Surprisingly flat hf response for a prosound coax. It won't take much dsp to tame it. I'm really impressed with how much cleaner it is than my waveguide/midbass top at realistic volume levels. Might be the bigger compression driver. Will be using this in ob above a vented 2x18 per side.

I don't see a lot of real world downsides to well designed coaxs. They seem to do a lot of things right if you keep the low end out of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.