Adding tweeters, and impedance drop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to be able to add additional tweeters to my upcoming audio setup, as I have done this previously with a pair of piezos, and really enjoy the better sound of an extra pair of tweeters, but I'm concerned about impedance.

It will be a DIY amplifier, driving 2 ohms of speakers per channel (two 4ohm speakers in parallel per channel) but I want to add two more pairs of tweeters for extra highs. I'm considering a 1uf or 0.47uf cap on the tweeters to keep them playing in the higher frequencies, so they blend nice with the tweeters already in my main speakers.

Would adding tweeters (either piezo or coil) make impedance dip below the rated 2ohms and put stress on the amp, or distort at higher frequencies, or is the impedance high enough in the tweeters at the high frequencies to not make any difference?

After extensive searching on the internet, it seems the tweeters are not that big of a load.
You can add a resistance to the tweeter, to help the impedance, and cross it over, but........... instead of just paralleling.................

I think I have a better way, Use MORE tweeters, and series/parallel instead, meaning if I want more tweeters, just get the really efficient loud & high ones, so I can cross them higher, run them in series to split the voltage between them, but also to tame them some since they are loud, and that will allow me to add more series sets in parallel and keep the impedance under control. After the series-parallel setup, I'm sure I can add a 1-ohm resistor in series with the whole group of tweeters, to add some linear resistance, and not quiet them down too much.....

So instead of paralleling 2 per channel, I'll run 2 in series, paralleled with two more in series, so the impedance will be the same as one tweeter, the power will be same, but I imagine with 4 tweeters instead of 1 at the same impedance, hopefully it should be more efficient.

Any ideas on the series/parallel instead of just parallel (or just series) ???

BTW, I have some 6-ohm coil tweeters, and I put a 1.5uf film capacitor in series with it, and that cap makes it sound really good, and you can't tell the tweeters are there with the other speakers, until you hear the upper highs then it's obvious they are there, I like that. They blend well with the other speakers when crossed high. I'd like to do that with more of them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.